Almost killed two people on Tuesday

tayhot

Long story short.... I was elk hunting and had a bull 50 yards behind a tree and I was at full draw waiting for him to step out. Along comes two outfitters and they purposlfully scare off the bull by yelling at him. I went right to them and confronted them. It got really loud in the woods. Game warden was called out and he is investigating.

As soon as I get more time, I will tell the story and let you know which outfitter it was. I still cant believe that these so called "sportsman" would stoop to a new low Who scares off an elk just so another guy cant get it?

Unbelievable...can't wait for the details on this one. Did they know you were in the vicinity hunting this bull? Did they see you drawn on him?

My neighbor has that exact same charge on him and his wife spent 6 days in jail as a result.

This is serious business. Do not let this go.

Wow!Unbelieveable that someone would do that.Especially an Outfitter/Guide.
Let me know what the outcome of the Warden's findings are.If he finds that the Outfitter/Guide is in violation,I will gladly make a call to G&F and voice my concern that maybe someone like this should not be aloud to operate as a Outfitter/Guide.

What unit was this in and if you know the Warden's name and contact info?Send it in a PM,(as to not cause a bunch of hub-bub).

Good Luck

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you think their right"

-Joe E Sikora

Holy crap, that sucks. I would hope that the outfitter's license gets pulled for that kind of crap. No more guiding or hunting privileges for them. Was this on FS land?

Would love to hear the details on that. Cannot understand what the advantage to the outfitter would be?
Would they expect to come back and hunt a bull that had been blown out?

That's unreal man. Can't believe someone would purposely run off a bull. Pursue this and please post the details. I;ve had some similar experiences in the Gila, but nothing that crazy. Still can't believe the nerve of some folks.

On another note, did you get another chance at that bull or any others?

Love to hear the details and the outcome of all this!!!We cant have this happening out there in the woods with rifle/bow being involved, things can get real ugly. Maybe calling out the outfitter after things get resolved so the public can take there buisness somewhere else.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-22-10 AT 01:56PM (MST)[p]Some more info...

The outfitter did not renew there license this year. Therefore, they are in for a world of hurt.

They were hunting ranch only tags on federal land. Crimial offense

They harrassed a hunter while in pursuit. Criminal offense

Because they were on federal land (BLM) they will face federal prosecution if a case is made.

This is enough detail for now.

Wow, sounds like a really shady outfitter to say the least. Hopefully, they nail this guy and revoke his rights to outfit/guide in NM.

That should be enough to put a world of hurt on them...short of SSS. These folks that think they can do what ever they want whenever they want need to be dealt with harshly,IMHO. What unit did this take place in?

Hunting public unit wide land with ranch only tags...ahhh that never happens :) System is broken and must be fixed!

post up the whole thing, Names, unit, who the warden was, the whole thing not in dibbles and drapes(sp).Put it all out there, if you don't pm it to me and I will post it up. That is just wrong what they did, Swift kick in the nuts would just even up the odds in a hurry. It guys like this that just need a ass-kicking period.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Yes sir, hunting on forest or blm land with a ranch only tag happens all the time in unit 36 & 37. I'm sure its common everywhere else to.

What are the steps we should take if this happens to one of out there? maybe taking a camera? take a pic of the people harrasing you, wardens # in hand, any other suggestions? and how would you handle it? with athority or be calm about it?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-10 AT 10:30AM (MST)[p]I had a strange encounter with a guide and his hunter a couple of years ago during the late archery hunt in the Gila Wilderness.

I had just stuck a nice bull, but I knew I hit him a little farther back than I'd liked to, so I was giving him time and trying to locate my hunting partner on the radio and guide him to my location. Two guys came marching up to me and so I approached them and told them what happened, and found out it was a guide and his hunter.

So we visited for a little while, and they seemed cool. Then they decided it was time for them to continue on, so they proceeded to march in the direction I just told them my bull had gone...

I was like "Hey, where are you going?!"

The guide turned around, looked right at me and said "We're going this way", and on they marched. I got so pissed off and dlustered...I didn't know what to do with myself.

When my hunting buddy showed up, we followed the bull's trail until we lost it, then looked around for some while longer, and never found the bull or saw those guys again.

I went back to confront these guys yesterday hoping to start a fight with them. Save the bs speeches about that. You'd wanna kick their butts too if it had happened to you. I know I could handle one at a time, but I was so mad I just wanted to hurt them. So I go to their camp where they were at and lo and behold, they had packed up and left. Lucky for them or lucky for me.

Welll my next step is to talk with the game warden and we'll see what happens from there.

Oh by the way, this was the worst hunting trip ever. On the way down, my trailer blew a tire and had to change it. This ordeal happens. Then on Wed night, i was driving down a road that was real muddy and slippery from the storm. I'm in my brand new F-150 (3000 k miles on it) and as a top a hill coming down a steep hill, I notice two cows asleep in the middle of the road. I slam on my brakes, but cant stop or steer around them because how muddy it was. Bang! I took out a cow and totally jacked the front of my truck. Cow wont make it.

Well, they say bad things come around in threes..so let's hope you got all of yours out of the way and it'll be smooth sailing for you for a while now. Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Time in the field shouldn't be that depressing. Hopefully you more opportunities to turn it around.

I notice two cows asleep in the middle of the road. I slam on my brakes, but cant stop or steer around them because how muddy it was. Bang! I took out a cow and totally jacked the front of my truck. Cow wont make it.

You do know the cow has the right-a-way. LOL
So post up the Information we are all waiting for, with rifle season coming up if any of us run into them we would like a heads up you know.

That's a disappointing end to a lot of work, but don't let your emotions get the best of you. The outfitter clearly acted unethically and illegally and should be brought to task for it. Contact the right people, log your complaint as soon as possible with the right people and let the process play out. While we would all love to hear all of the details, I don't think this would be the best place to drop names. Just my two cents. Hope the rest of your season goes better.

PM it to me I don't mind dropping names or anything else.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom