altitude and velocity question

bigjake

I am getting ramped up for my big muzzleloader elk hunt this fall and I have my Omego zero'd at 150 yards, but that is while shooting at an elevation of approx 5,500 feet. My hunt will be at elevations from 8,000-10,000 feet. My question is, at 150 or even 200 yards, will my point of impact change when I shoot at the higher elevation? I know the higher the elevation the less dense the air and the higher the velocity, but will that difference be noticeable out to 200 yards?

Thanks!

As far as temp changes go, while shooting BH 209 I have noticed no changes of impact between summer and winter. But as far as elevation changes go have not shot enough at diff elevations to tell you that. My advise is while out scouting find some time to shoot a few rounds. Good luck on your hunt.

okay-thanks guys. I will definately shoot while scouting and then the day before the hunt, but just wondered if anyone had any experience just to give me some idea of how much or how little 3,000 feet in elevation would make. I shot at 7,500 feet over the weekend and at 150 yards there seemed to be no difference. My guess is that at that yardage, temps and altitude will affect the trajectory very little. But, who really knows anyways-shooting with a 1X scope feels a lot like guess work anyways. Thanks again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom