Alton & Mt Carmel CWMU's

huntinguy

LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-10 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]Lots of discussion on here about CWMU operators and experiences with many of them. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on Alton and Mt Carmel CWMU's?

If what people say negatively on their CWMU experiences is mostly true, I would think these two operations would have the biggest incentive for closing certain parts of their land for some hunters while leaving the rest open for private guys. But again I don't know anything about these operations. They definitely are in the right place IMO for a chance for a great buck.

I know Alton even leases ground on the Southern Region side across from 89 for the sole purpose of guiding guys on that side. They say the harvest 180-195 size deer over there consistently which is awesome.

Don't know anything about Mt. Carmel.

Any experiences with one/both? Stories?

I hunted the Alton CWNU in 1999 with a management tag. Because of my disability, they let me bring 3 friends to help for which I had to pay extra for food. I was provided a guide like the 3 high dollar clients, and the other management tag holder. Stayed in a cabin, had cooked meals, and had 4 1/2 days in MULEY HEAVEN.

I killed the widest buck(32") taken that year, with George Strait coming in 2nd. I couldn't of been happier with how I was treated. One client took a 29 inch 4x4 that went 191. The other two ate tags. Their choice.

The 5 guides in camp that week were 5 of the coolest guys i've ever met.

Yelum

I grew up there and I know Wade Heaton, Jason Sorenson and Jeremy Chamberlain. Those guys really know their stuff and they do everything in their power to get big bucks for their clients. I was talking to them at the Wildlife Board Meeting just a few weeks ago and it sounded like they had another awesome season. Personally I love the Alton CWMU, but as a public hunter it may take you 15-18 years to draw the tag (which is at least a $12000 tag). They really don't take that many bucks off the unit for how big it is. I wish the state would give them more management tags so more people could experience the area.

I think the Mt. Carmel unit is one of the best kept secrets in the state. They are able to hunt a little later in the year and those big southern region bucks get concentrated around the fields on the CWMU. They also get some good buck that come onto the unit from the Paunsaugunt. I don't think they average the 190 class buck like Alton, but for sure around 170ish or better.

And that piece of property that Wade leases on the general region is a gold mine. I could kill 180-200 bucks on there every year if I had permission to hunt it, which I obviously don't have. If you have the points or the money I would not overlook any of these opportunities.

I don't have anything bad to say about any of these operators. Jason and Jeremy get a lot of their bucks in the Muley Crazy Magazine, so check it out if you want to see what they are taking.

Dillon

Well if you're going to spend 10,000 bucks to go and shoot a couple of 200 inch bucks. Then I think you would be better off spending your money on the alton unit. The Mt carmel unit does take a few good bucks from year to year. But not as consistently as the alton unit. I would guess that is why the Alton unit is a premium unit and not the Mt Carmel unit.
The Heaton's run they unit more like business then Jason on the Mt Carmel unit. I dont mmean this in a bad way. Jason justs loves to hunt ! He will take anyone anywhere on the ranch . If they drew the tag or paid for one. If you know what i mean.

I had a friend hunt the Mt Carmel unit a few years ago. I went to help spot and thought the operator was a great guy. Very willing to work with my friend, however my friend did buy the tag.

My Bro drew one of the public permits for the Alton CWMU this year. We spent Monday thru Saturday on the ranch. From the begining he could hunt anywhere on the ranch except where the other hunters were at each day. That being said, the spot he hunted the first day and passed on some small 4x4's, a paying client went to the same area and killed a fantastic buck. As the week progressed and the paying clients filled their tags, my Bro was able to go anywhere he wanted. Each night all the hunters and guides sit down and talk about who will go hunt where. My Bro hunted areas that the paying clients had hunted the day before and everyone shared what they seen and encouraged everyone else. We felt in no way that we were limited to where to hunt. I'd say Wade Heaton runs an A+ hunt for both paying and public hunters.
The guides talked about the land that is leased on the west side of 89 and showed us some pics of the big ones they have guided hunters too. I wish I had the kida cash to buy one of those hunts.

Smokepole

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom