American Hunter Mag Credibility

Pre64

Very Active Member
Just a thought. I don't believe I have ever read a product review in this magazine that was much less than a glowing endorsement. Further, I don't think I seen a product review that did not have at least a half page advertisement from the product's manufacturer. Don't think I put much stock in a rave review accompanied by lots of paid advertising. I know you gotta make a buck, but I'd sure like to see a not so ethusiatic product endorsement once in a while.

I'm sure this isn't the only publication that does this.

Pre64;

That is the problem with most gun or hunting mags. They will imbellish reviews on products where the maker is buying advertisement space. some are slightly bias, others are outright B.S.
When it comes to firearms, scopes and other firearm related equiptment, there is one magazine that I am aware of that will give you a unbias report on the product. "Gun Test magazine" does not accept advertisements, will not accept items from the maker for testing. Reason for this is so the maker does not send them a "refined" product that they worked over for it to pass with flying colors. Instead their writers will go out to the local stores and purchase the firearm or firearm related item from the store shelf as you and I do. Then they run their tests and give it a thumbs down or up depending on how it did.
I used to subscribed to the mag, but let my subscription run out when I quit doing gunsmith work about 8 years ago. I believe they are still in business. On some of the firearm problems they reported, I also saw the same problems crop up with customer's guns that came into the shop. They were the ones that rated the Nikon Monarch scope up in some areas with the German scopes and surpassing Leupold in some areas and rated the Nikon as a better buy when comparing price to product quality in about 10 areas of testing. but that was before leupold came out with the 111 series of upgraded scope.

RELH

I wish that magazine was available with an NRA membership rather than what they've got. Maybe I'll try the Rifleman as I don't believe I've read anything worthwhile in the Hunter for quite a while.

I get the "rifleman" and prefer it to the "hunter" for articles on firearms and new products coming out.

RELH

There is a review coming out in the October issue for a product (book) from my company and we haven't done a nickel's worth of advertising from them. I probably will advertise with them in the future though. I haven't read the review. I agree most mag's only give positive reviews. Most negative products never make print due to liability so you only read the good ones. I think we had a review in this month's trophy hunter magazine as well but I haven't seen it either.
www.littlesportsman.com

It's just like all the hunting shows with the Thompson rifles, tell me they'd leave the house with one of those junkers if they weren't paying the bills. money can buy love, and good press as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom