ammo help for desert sheep

hwkeye308

I was fortunate to draw a Nevada sheep tag. I will be shooting a ruger .270 m77. I don't reload but would like to know what over the counter ammo poeple are using. I want consistency and don't plan on shooting over 300 at my comfort level. I will be shooting 130 gr. but want info hsm, hornady superformace, or even the Winchester ballistic silver tips.

thank you

I used to own that exact rig and mine shot lights out with 130 g Nosler partition bullets. However, I always reloaded my own medicine so factory ammo is not my forte.
While desert sheep are not particularly tough to bring down, I do think you should stay with well constructed bullets in case of a poor hit or angle of entry. Many of the big companies now load premium bullets like Barnes TTSX, Nosler Partition or Accubond, etc. Those are my favorites.

You will probably never get another Desert Sheep permit, so I wouldn't worry too much about an extra 10 or 20 bucks for quality bullets. The hard part is your gun will like what it likes and without trying some different brands, you will never know.

Congratulations on the sheep tag. What unit? Best of luck...it will be a blast!

Obviously, your biggest concern should be accuracy. That may require trying several loads which could be expensive, but worth it.

Believe it or not, 130 Rem Core-Lokts shoot great in my 270 and have taken elk at 300 yards. They shoot sub MOA at a 100 yds and perform great.

For my Alaska Dall hunt last year, I used hand loaded 140 Noslers Ballistic Tips and topped the gun with a Leupold 3.5x14 cds. This gave me the flexibility to shoot out to 400 yds comfortably.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-15 AT 01:06PM (MST)[p]Some of us get caught up in all the fancy bullets (I do but that's my choice) but the fact is, for desert sheep, almost any decent bullet will work fine out of a 270 Win provided it is accurate.

I really like the Ballistic tip Nosler out of a 270 but HATE them out of a 30 cal mag. They do not perform the same.

I also like B TTSX, N Accubond, H innerbond, N Partitions and R Core-lokt out of a 270 Win and find they'll do a fine job on sheep size critters.

Have fun with the tag.

My 2 cents, for free.
Zeke

What has been said above is all true. However, the most important variable of all is what does your rifle shoot accurately out to 400 yards.

All the bullets mentions are very good if your gun says so. So you need to do some real time testing. You need to be able to hit an eight inch circle zone with what ever bullet your rifle says is good at that distance.

In my 270 Wby Mag. It likes 130g Nosler B.T. and B.TTSX and hates N. Accubond.

The rest is just pictures with a big grin!

Good luck! Please post up your hunt pictures too.

If it were me I'd use a 140 or 150 Balitic Tip as fast as you can push it. it will not blow up as some say it's too slow and too heavy. I've use this bullet on deer in the 270 and my wife took a mt goat with it and everytime it worked perfect. sheep hunting is not a meat hunt, go for a bang flop.

TSX , my custom 270 WBY shoots the TSX and BT great but WILL NOT shoot the accubond either. I've founf this true in most of my guns.

My custom 300 win shoots a 168 BT in one hole but for my sheep hunt I'd like a little tougher bullet if I have a close range shot, I'm going to try the AB in it as soon as I get a chance and if it doesn't shoot I'm tossing all of them for good.

Stay thirsty my friends

LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-15 AT 07:18AM (MST)[p]thanks guys for the info. it gives me a starting point given i have till November to fine tune.

Like the others said, just shoot whatever your rifle likes best as long as it's a decent hunting bullet.

My Sako .270 loves cheapo Winchester gray box PowerPoint ammunition, so that's what I used on my AZ desert sheep hunt. The cup and core bullet worked beautifully and the ram didn't go 10 feet.

Have a great hunt!

Desert sheep are not real big and from what I have seen not real hard to kill. I would use what ever shoots good in your rifle and not worry too much about it.

Took my Nevada Ram with Federal Premium Trophy Copper and hope they continue to build that bullet. I have used Federal Premium Nosler Accubonds with great success but like the Trophy Coppers even better. Do a review and read the results-impressive!
Ed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom