Ammo Help?

Broadside_Shot

I have a Saskatchewan Whitetail hunt at the end of November. I have limited my Ammo down to federal. I have shot the 115 grain Nosler Partitions, Fusion, and 100 grain Barnes triple shock. They all shoot well but I have no Idea what the bullet is actually doing when it comes to penetration and knock down power. Does anyone have any info first hand on these and would recomend one over the other.

Thanks
Jerry

What kind of shot distances did the outfitter say to expect? I assume this will be stand hunting with shots out to maybe 150-200 yards? What is the caliber you are using?

From what you said I'm guessing you have a 25-06 or something close. Myself I like to stay with a 115-120 grain bullet as a minimum for big deer. a 120 partition or TSX would be my first choice and you couldn't go wrong with either one. the other suggestion I'd have for a factory load would be the Hornady light magnum loads with their interlock bullet, stay away from the SST.

If it were me I would take a bigger gun. A 25-06 is a little light. I am a fan of the partitions though. I would prefer something in the 140 - 150 Grain if shooting bigger caliber.
Good Luck and bring mucho Hand Warmers.

Any of those three will work fine; if it was me, I'd look for the 110gr Accubond loaded by Winchester or Federal

---------------------------------------
This is my post

I've just pissed in my pants.......and nobody can do anything about it.

If it was me I would go with the best all around gun 30/06 with a Barnes X(it has a blue tip)bullet,around a 140 grain.

My 2 cents.

Joe

Broadside_shot;

Your 25-06 will do just fine for deer. I have taken over 25 deer with that caliber and that includes 5-6 heavy body mulies from 400-500 yards that were one shot kills that died within 20 yards of where they were shot. One went about 75 yards before dropping.
The bullet I used was the Nosler partition 117-120 grain weight. On lung shots, it will open up and exit the far side with a hole about the size of a silver dollar. On shoulder shots, it will bust though both shoulders and exit 90% of the time on even the long shots.
I prefer the heart-lung shots as they destroy far less meat and even if the deer does go for a few yards, the blood trail is very easy to follow.
Saying a 25-06 is too light for deer, is like saying a 300 mag. Wheatherby is too light for elk.
If your shots are going to be between 50-250 yards, sight the bullet in for 2 inches high at 100 yards and use the center chest for your aiming point. will be in the kill zone from muzzle to 300 yards. If you might have shots out to 350 yards, sight in at 3 inches high at 100, kill zone is muzzle to about 350 yards. the 25-06 is a flat shooting caliber for being a non-magnum.
RELH

Last Fall I shot a big bodied mulie with my browning 25-06 w/ 100 gr nosler partition. It was a frontal shot at 250. It went 25yds down the mountain and piled up. Plenty of peneration and internal damage. I'd go with the partition, my 2 cents.

x2 on RELH's comments, with the exception of killing that many deer with that caliber. A very capable caliber.

Partion would be the choice for close range but if your going to shoot 350 yards use the Barnes tsx

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom