Ammo Question - What are these?

Joe2Kool

Very Active Member
Neighbor gave these to me. Probably 100 rounds. They were his dad's, a WWII vet that passed away about 10 years ago. Pretty sure they are 30-06. Appear to be FMJ to me. Some are corroded, but most aren't. My neighbor guesses they are at a minimum 50 years old.

I don't own a 30-06 but I have a friend that does. Maybe some of you old timers :LOL: or veterans recognize them.

Two questions, what are they? Shoot 'em?

Pics show a Remington 30-06 Core Lokt for comparison.

IMG_3675[1].JPG

IMG_E3677[1].JPG

I don't think Mr, H reloaded. I'll ask his son, my neighbor. Neighbor doesn't remember his dad deer hunting much after the early 60's. So "S L 5 7" makes sense.

Thanks Pre 64!

Also, they are loaded in en bloc clips, that what you load the M1 garand with, one of the few guns that use a clip and not a magazine. see if he still has the rifle, some of them are crazy expensive.

The US military stopped using corrosive primers by the early 50’s. Lots of Russian and Chinese stuff still being made that’s corrosive. It will junk a gun right now if you’re not careful in the clean up.

Yup, ‘06. We shot a boatload of old military ball like that when I was a pup. Back in the day I would have shot them just for the brass. And because shooting trees and rocks with AP rounds is fun :) Just clean your rifle if you’re worried.

Now I hang on to them because I like the old nostalgic stuff. I still have a couple boxes of unfired match ammo.

If you do shoot them, you will have to swage that primer pocket, which is easy- with the die. Ive seen in some of the new reloading manuals that it’s recommended to reduce loads by a grain because of the mil spec thicker brass. I don’t know whether it’s necessary or not.
IMG_3382.jpeg

Last edited:
Those are 30-06 military rounds with the clips as Mountainsqwabler mentioned. I have some dated 1956. I have shot a hand full several years ago, but I mainly have had them as part of my vintage ammo.

Good info guys!

Short version on the M1 Garand, he got $800 for it and a Remington 1100 on a football board. I remember we looked up the value and about $400 seemed reasonable at the time.

I stumbled across some stuff in the reloading room that reminded me I should make a footnote to this thread.

Any of this old military stuff needs to be inspected pretty closely. Back in the day they improvised things occasionally.

Here is what I believe are some 35 Whelen rounds built on old military brass. I mic’d em one time and concluded that.
IMG_6148.jpeg

And they even did stuff like this

IMG_6149.jpeg

So always double check.

I always wanted a 35 Whelen.

Neighbor gave these to me. Probably 100 rounds. They were his dad's, a WWII vet that passed away about 10 years ago. Pretty sure they are 30-06. Appear to be FMJ to me. Some are corroded, but most aren't. My neighbor guesses they are at a minimum 50 years old.

I don't own a 30-06 but I have a friend that does. Maybe some of you old timers :LOL: or veterans recognize them.

Two questions, what are they? Shoot 'em?

Pics show a Remington 30-06 Core Lokt for comparison.

View attachment 132054

View attachment 132055
That looks similar to the old WW2 military ammo, full metal jacket in 30/06 shot plenty was easy to get at surplus stores years ago.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom