Another 6.5 Question

bragabit

I am looking at either a 260, 6.5 creedmore, or 6.5 X 284. I can, and have looked at ballistics. I am more interested in recoil, how easy they are to reload for, and any other personal experiences with any or all of these. This gun will be my wife's to shoot deer and the occasional elk, and of course for me to play with long range. They all would be far cheaper than my Ultra Mag for tinkering with. Savage is probably the only manufacture that chambers for all of these rounds. If you have one you like what rifle is it.

If absolutely positively got to have a 6.5, consider the 6.5x55 Swede. It handloads well, feeds well from the magazine, and good brass is available from Lapua. You mention elk, and moving up to the 7mm bullets gives you the 7mm-08 option, which is a great short action rifle with option for heavier bullets. Personally, I believe the highest quality rifle made today is the new Win M70's from South Carolina. The compact FW comes in a short action and in 7mm-08, and the action starts as out as one piece of steel. The Kimber is also nice and is available in a .260, but I believe it is a forged receiver. Hopefully, someday Winchester will expand the caliber choices for the M70's, or at least go to the Remington strategy of offering a "Classic" caliber each year.

Just got a 6.5 Creedmore in a Savage. Not alot of expirience yet with it. However, so far the gun shots well with very little recoil. Think its a gun I will like.

Beech, just curious what made you choose the Creedmore over the 260? I am really leaning towards the 260. Gun choices are very limited. If I could get a Remington 700 in 260 with more than a 20 inch barrel I would have it . I did see Tikka is offerering 260s in most of their 2012 models. Definantly a good option

I own the Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5-284 Normal and I love it. My wife shoots it also and shot her antelope this year at 435 yards and dumped her in her tracks the rifle has very little recoil and that model comes with a muzzle.brake that can be turned on or off. If you are going to maybe go after the ocassional elk you probably would want to go with the 6.5-284 wich would have more energy with the 140 grain bullet. What ever choice you make I don't think you will be dissapointed with the 6.5 caliber bullets they are little grease needles :)

I am very familiar with all three of the rounds. I have a custom Rem 721 with a 26" Brux barrel chambered in 6.5-284, a custom Savage with 26" Criterion barrel in 260 Rem, and I am building a 6.5 Creedmoor AR10. I helped a buddy set up his reloader for 6.5 Creedmoor and it is a shooter.

The 6.5-284 is a great round and is my choice for long range deer/goat hunting. Shooting 800 yards is not that difficult when shooting the 140 gr VLD bullets. Recoil is highest of the three cartridges though. Mine is built on a long action so I can seat the bullets farther out and gain the powder capacity. Lapua makes great brass for this cartridge. Shortest barrel life of the three. I would not consider a gun with less than 26" barrel using this cartridge.

The 20 Rem is what the 308 Win wishes it is at long range. Ballistically it is superior to the 308 and has less recoil. I also shoot the 140 gr VLDs and 140 SMK in my 260. Lapua brass is available for this round also. Medium barrel life expectancy. I would use 24-26" barrel for this gun.

The 6.5 CM is a great little round. It gets dang near the velocity of the 260 with the 140 gr bullets. The Hornady brass is ok, its much cheaper than Lapua. Many guys use this in tactical matches as you can leave the brass lay and not be out much. Longest barrel life of the three. Barrel of 22-26" would be my choice. The 120 gr bullets are decent in this cartridge also. Slightly flatter shooting but not as good in the wind. With todays quality range finders, I will give up flattness for less wind deflection anytime.

You won't go wrong with any of them. For pure ballistics look at the 284 Winchester or 280 Rem. Shooting the 180 gr bullets, it bucks the wind better than the 6.5mm cartridges. You do get slightly more recoil though.

I will sell you a T/C Encore Barrel in the 6.5x284 with a Huskemaw Scope attached and all the reloading dies, bullets, and brass

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom