Another day at the range

Idahoron

Very Active Member
I went out today to shoot my Hot Rod Hawken again.
Last week I tried a new bullet that kicked azz. I got a RCBS 11mm mould. It pours a 409 grain bullet that is .446" with lead that is about 6 BHN hardness. I paper Patch them to fit my .451 Green Mountain Hawken.

RCBS11mm405gr446.jpg

I shot three shots no cleaning. They did good so I tried another but it went a little wide. My first 100 yard group last week was this one.

RCBS11mmgroup1-1.jpg

I adjusted my sights a bit and shot another 100 yard group that was even better.

RCBS11mmgroup2.jpg

I wanted to try some more that were a bit harder. So last week I poured up two new batches of harder lead. One batch was about 8.5 BHN and the second batch was 9.5 BHN hard. Today I only got to try the 8.5 hardness. I shot a group using 80 gr of Pyrodex P and no over powder wad. It was ok somewhere in the 3" range at 100 yards. I decided to try an over powder wad, so I adjusted my sights from last weeks group. I shot two shots and wow that was good. SO I cleaned the gun and this time I was shooting for group. I cleaned between each shot. In this picture The tape is covering the first two shots. This three shot group is .858" If I were to peel off the tape the group for all 5 shots would be still under 1" group.

RCBSgroupCleanbetweenshots.jpg

I also had a Limb Saver recoil pad installed. I had a gun smith do this one because I wanted the stock cut and a part of the brass left in place.

HawkenwithRecoilpad1.jpg

HawkenwithRecoilpad3.jpg

This gives me a better length but also WOW it helps on the recoil. The next time I go out I plan to try the 9.5 BHN hardness bullets but I think I found the golden ticket. Ron

It is wool felt. Slightly larger than bore diameter and lubed with Hornady great plains lube. Ron

Ron...I did not say it in that other thread, but I'm saying it now...

YOUR GUNS KICK *SS!!!

I only hope the one that I'm working on turns out half as good...

:usa:

Ron..

The reason I was asking for a closer look at your rear sight was I thought I might have overlooked an option, when I was doing research on after market sights..

I had seen that sight before and don't believe that it would work on the type of gun that I am working on..

I will be starting my own thread on the gun and the sight I have chosen when I finally complete the work in a month or so!!

Being here in Colorado, I believe we have a slight advantage over what you are allowed to do in Idaho. But from the looks of what you have built it is just slight..

Again your guns KICK *SS and give me hope on my build!!

:usa:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom