Another deer unit for 14 NR points ???

Blank

Long Time Member
Probably still 10-20 years out for a Henry Mt or Pauns rifle tag, with success rates of less than one percent (or never). Are there any of the other LE deer units that a guy could reasonably expect to take a 170-180" buck from, if he worked hard and spent the entire hunt? How about switching to archery?

I already have a conflicting hunt for period of Sept.29-Oct. 9th, so muzzy is out for this year.

Any thoughts, or just keep plugging along and hope the draw gods smile?

Blank,

I know that you like to muzzleload hunt, why not try the Crawford Mtn. hunt. Last two weeks of Nov., not many hunters, will need extreme cold weather gear. I have hunted in the past as well as helped friends there, can be great with the right weather. You can use a one power scope or a red dot sight in UT if you eyes are going bad like the rest of us. Just a thought

Cabuck

You may want to look at switching to archery if you want the Henry's tag. I don't know if you are instate or out of state, but the odds are a lot better for archery tags, if that is something you feel comfortable doing.

Thanks for the input guys. I do like to muzzy hunt a lot, so the Crawford tag is attractive, but sure is a crap shoot for weather. Some of the other LE hunts look good, but others may be a waste of some points. The harvest data for all of them looks OK with 4 year old bucks the norm.

I'll have some time to stew on it before putting in apps., but for now I think I will have to line up all the hunts in surrounding states and see how they lay out with my available vacation.

Of course, I could always win that Henries tag at the Expo! HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa - - - - - - - -

Couple of thoughts:

Archery San Juan/ Elk Ridge: They take some really good bucks off of that unit every year, but most will tell you that the archery is the best hunt.

Bookcliffs Rifle if you can draw it. I think that mid 170's is a pretty solid bet if you put your time in. I know they took a few bigger, even heard of a 190+ the was shot in the same area a friend was hunting this year.

If you are looing for guarantee 180 class deer, then you better hold out for that Henry's tag. There are several other units in this state that produce those type of bucks, but with increased tag numbers and unpredictable weather year to year there is no guarantee of a 180, just a guarantee of a fun hunt.

Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-11 AT 05:55PM (MST)[p]>check out the management hunt on
>the henry mts alot of
>180 class 3x bucks if
>thats what your after

I also have 14 points I'd like to burn. Would be happy with a 180" 3x. I was not aware of any management hunt. Just looked at the regulations now but could not find any detailed description. I don't like the fact it is only a 5 day hunt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom