Another Good Harvest

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Just getting the chance to post after getting back from my elk hunt down in the Gila with my fiancee. Tough dry and windy conditions but we were able to fill our freezer (and our neighbor's freezer) with two bulls. I could not find any of the big boys I've been watching since this summer but couldn't be happier with our harvests, especially since I got to be with Bree as she harvested her first elk! We stalked up to 100 yards of a small group of raghorns 30 minutes into opening morning and after spotting the bulls, Bree dropped this, her first elk, in its tracks. I don't know who was more excited but it was a great moment to share with my favorite hunting partner.
Bree's First Bull:
IMG_0764.jpg

After getting her bull out of the field and only seeing one more small bull opening day, Bree headed home on Sunday so that she could get back to work. Sunday morning I got into a couple more small bulls and walked right into a herd of cows that busted me and ran off with a huge bodied bull that I just couldn't get a shot at. Dejected, I decided to hike back into a remote tank miles out in the flat, antelope country. I spent the afternoon getting battered by 50 to 60 mile an hour gusts of wind and hiking around glassing every juniper and draw for miles. Finally, I had enough and decided that I had better hoof it back to the tank to see if anything would come to water at dark. As I was making my way down the big bald ridge to the tank I looked across the flats to see a big five point making his way through the tall grass towards the water. I waited until he got behind a small ridge and hoofed it over to the tank and set up in some small junipers. A couple of minutes later I watched him jump a fenceline and make his way towards me. At around 300 yards he stopped and stood broadside out in the grass. The sun was just starting to set so I knew that I needed to take the shot. I also knew the wind was blowing extremely hard so I compensated and aimed at the front of the shoulder...turns out it wasn't enough....my first shot (bad) drifted almost 3.5 feet back and I hit him way back. He dropped and stood back up so I compensated a couple more feet on the second shot and spined him, planting him in his tracks. No regrets on this good 5x5 as I knew there just weren't many good bulls in my area this fall and besides, any elk is a trophy elk. I couldn't be happier as I've got a freezer full of prime eating for the winter and another great set of memories. The pictures didn't turn out very well but it was blowing so hard that my camera kept blowing over. p.s. I really dig that his firsts both turn straight down while the seconds kick straight up...neat character and hopefully some great eating.
IMG_0781.jpg

Yes, elk make me grin like a little kid...
IMG_0775.jpg

The true trophy is the meat in the freezer,
Cody

Congrats to both of you on getting your Elk, sure nice to see smiling faces with their game. Thanks for posting the pics too.

Brian

LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-09 AT 08:25AM (MST)[p]I love the sh*t eating grins!!

What I don't like seeing is the serious poses where people are acting tuff, gangsta, or whatever.

If the experience doesn't bring a smile to your face, you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations, that is great. I can only imagine how proud you are.

leftturnabq,
Your post is one of the best things I've read on this site in awhile.

--Bill

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-30-09
>AT 08:25?AM (MST)

>
>I love the sh*t eating grins!!
>
>
>What I don't like seeing is
>the serious poses where people
>are acting tuff, gangsta, or
>whatever.
>
>If the experience doesn't bring a
>smile to your face, you're
>doing it for the wrong
>reasons.
>
>Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys, and Lefturn, you couldn't have put it any better. If a successful harvest doesn't put a smile on your face than you had better take up modeling. I've been fortunate enough to take quite a few good critters but nothing is as satisfying as helping someone harvest their first animal. Bree has shot some other big game but has never been able to close the deal on an elk. Her first bull will always be one of the best, if not the best of my life. The best part is that we are having rings made not with diamonds (my bank account thanks me) but with elk ivory. I think I got a keeper... we've still got a little deer hunting and a lot of bird hunting to do so hopefully we'll continue to keep our freezers and our family's freezers full for a while.
-Cody

Cody-

congrats on your hunt. those are both nice bulls, I was also down there and my partner and i were both lucky to get our first bulls. My buddy dropped his with one shot at about 70 yds and i got mine close to 100. I had to chase my a little ways, i shot him in the shoulder, broke his shoulder and he decided he wanted to run a bit. We caught up to him about 50 yds away. Like you i was chasing some big bulls we had seen earlier in the year but couldn't catch up with them. But man was i excited to get my first bull, it was definitely a hunt to remember. Here's a couple pics and congrats to your wife again!
4aeb474413c61e82.jpg

4aeb477214fcd1ca.jpg

Parecido,

Congrats on your Hunt! That looks like my cousin Diego, I heard from his dad (Tommy) that you guys scored on 2 nice bulls. Congrats again.

Parecido, congrats on a couple of great bulls for you and your buddy. And better yet, congrats on a great first bull! Too cool and thanks for sharing your pics, good to see the big grins of a couple of guys who appreciate harvesting a couple of nice bulls. Should be some great eating for the winter as well.
Thanks again for posting,
Cody

nmwapiti,

That is Diego alright, I'm sure you could recognize his big head anywhere..hahaha.

My name is Alex by the way, What's yours?

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom