Another Hound Dogger's Web Page

Kev,
We have solved the mystery behind the disappearance off all the Lions, Bobcats and Bear in Cache Valley. You caught them all. When you catch everything you dump on, and you dump 4 times a day, them critters are going to come south where they are safe from ever being caught again. They have to run the gauntlet of Dawg's backyard and all of his hound buddies in Utah Valley, but if they get through there, they are a lot safer.

I liked all the pictures. Anybody that can give the bobcats THAT much trouble is my new hero. Too bad they aren't worth as much as they used to be, HUH? Did you ever catch them in their glory days?

Great site, keep it up.... KattNappp

Nice pictures ! That 43 lb bobcat is one big cat! Thats as big as I have seen anyway.

Be careful Kevin, now your Kattrax's hero. You never know what could be next!!!!

Nice pictures, and keep pounding those frustrating little bounders;-)

I'll bet any one of you guys photo albums would put mine to shame, nonetheless, I'll take the compliments. Unfortunately I couldn't post any of my sheep photos, the county prosecuter is still holding them as state's evidence ;-)

Yea Kattraxx, I used to trap bobcats back in the glory days.....back when 1 bobcat pelt was worth the equivilent of a month's wages for me. I don't know what it was like around where you were, but the problem around here was that everybody else was trapping them back then too. There wasn't a year go by I didn't loose a half a dozen or more traps to trap thieves and it's tough to say how many cats were stolen out of my traps. All in all, I think I like conditions today better.

And Border, my catch of bobcat is pitiful compared to the way you New England boys pile them up. Trust me, I know how much work it takes to have the kind of success you guys have. You boys are my heroes.

Waycool, my Molly dog was the high tan in the photos and was my first real hound that could catch game. She was a Black and Tan/walker cross and was about as ill bred as a hound could be. She was unatheletic, had bad feet, was ugly to look at, but she had the biggest heart of any dog I've ever owned. She was the kind of dog that would never give up on a track and the only way I was ever able to get her back was to catch up to her and snap on a leash. In a of way, she was a pain in the ass to hunt with.

I bought her as a 2 year old started dog back in 1983 when I was first starting out and together we learned the craft of hound dogging the hard way. I'll bet there isn't a way of screwing up a game track that we didn't go through. But somehow we perservered and she developed into a half competent hound.

I lost Molly on a lion hunt back in May of '91 when she got on a travelling tom and I was unable to keep up with her on foot. I didn't have tracking collars back then and never found her again. It's ironic, but it was her determination on a track that made her great, but in the end it probably cost her her life. I learned my lesson though, anymore I won't even enter a dog in a bench show without a tracking collar on! :)

Thanks guys.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-02-03 AT 05:12PM (MST)[p]Hey Kev.. I know this sounds sadistic... but.. I'm actually looking forward to having my dogs screw up some lion tracks... if I can ever find them one to screw up !!! LOL !!

The reason I ask.. is I have a young dog that looks like that dog.. but he is 3/8 lep, 1/8 walker and 1/2 B&T... As Yogi Berra would say... 90% is half mental....

Here's a pic of him....

nm2.jpg

One day maybe I'll find out if he can screw up a lion track eh ?

Oh.. well.. back to my drunken stupor... :)

Steve Lithgow
http://www.waycoolkennels.com

Kattrax,Thats an excellent story on your Molly dog.Sounds like you two taught each other a lot.Hunting without tracking collars? Boy, I remember those days.I lost a handful of dogs back then that we never figured out what happened to them.I am the same way you are now.I dont even road a dog for exercise without a tracking collar on now.
As for piling up the bobcats.Its not me thats for sure.I'm not much of a cat hunter at all.The whole state of Maine only takes about 140 cats a year.I just happen to be friends with the guys that took 37 of them last year !!I can tell you from your pictures though,it is a whole different ball game hunting bobcats out here.

Hell you'll have to come up this winter Waycool. Maybe we could meet half way or something and screw up a track together, say San Pete County? (let's see, Las Cruces, Logan??? Yea, that's about halfway!)

As we all know, it's the intangibles that make a good dog and not neccesarily the pedigree. I think the odds of getting a good dog are more favorable in an established bloodline, but it's far from guaranteed. I do know that the top two dogs I've ever had have both been mixed breeds like your high tan. So who knows, maybe he's got what it takes to be the next great one!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom