another option for SB196

rockn9858

Here is a thought I do not know how far it will go. but if it works in the antelope it should work for elk.
the outfitters and the NR keep 10% each and the res pop takes 80% but then we take 10% of UW elk tags and Place them into the Res Draw. So example would be if a current until gets 50 tags 5 got to outfitters/ 5 got to NR and 40 go to Res then we would take the amount of UW LOT and add that back into the Res pool.

thoughts? can we run this up the flag pool so to speak

Sounds good to me but im sure ranchers and supporters of the jennings law will never let that happen.

Other thoughts out there for a fix to this fiasco?

Sounds alot more reasonable than SB196 to me. Outfitters do have a purpose and need. DIY folks the same. As far as UW LO tags,I never did understand why they get them. Much less the folks that get tags for different unit. Ranch only LO tags just make sense to me. And some units get a ton of LO tags.

This would take that tags and place them in the hands of residents the other snow all effect would be that LO would not want to do it that way making them go under the RO, and typically RO ranches receive less tags. then game and fish could issue more tags to the Residents. snow ball effect it will balance out.

I think the idea of UW LO tags being removed has some merit. I do not understand though, how more a rancher with say 3 uw tags would now get 2 tags because he switched to RO? Either way,I believe they would keep all tags available to them for RO and it would be insignificant tag #s reintroduced to the resident draw compared to the extra 10% lost for OFs, IMO. Here is my compromise suggestion, because 8/2 is wrong for NRs. My suggestion is 6/6%=12% total NR. If it goes beyond that, I would not support it. I like ideas being thrown out like this for consideration, but again this is a win for OFs and another loss for residents.

Another thing to consider is the additional pressure this might place on other states NR tags? IMO the "fairest" state Wyoming will "inherit" some of the disgruntled NM NR applicants. In time it will most likely turn the NR special general into a less than 100% draw as it is currently?

I still say can the UW LO tags. Kansas did a few years back and Colorado reportedly has talked about it.

Guess this will be my year to draw NM, while it is still "possible"?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-11 AT 11:37AM (MST)[p]James, my question is would 10% of LOTs be a imbalanced cow tag percentage or would it be balanced like a 12 infusion of ALL tags into the system. My concern is the Residents would be hunting 9% more cow tags of the 10% and the rich non res would continue to overreap our trophy natural resources. It would not be so with the current 90/10 split.

My personal point of view is "do away" with 10% of LO tags completely out of the system. We no longer compete with Utah and Arizona for quality. You may educate me on that fact, but it has been my observance and many OFs I trust agree on the decline in Quality bulls in our state. The gila trophy bulls are fewer and far between and I truly believe it is because of LO tag abuse in units like 15/34.

No it would be 10% of all LOT tags. if there are 100MB 100cow and 100 es tags then 10 of each would come back to the residents. We still have a great bull quality. hunters that want them need to spend more time in out of reach spots to get them. I still see big bulls near roads and camping areas but every year they are in different areas. If I draw a tag in a good unit I will cover the entire unit until I find a bull that I am after. the days for the multiple 400 in NM are basically gone due to the pure number of tags if we cut back on the tags the quality would come back but it is more about opportunity than quality today.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom