Another Wolf down

Y

Yoyak

I got really lucky on Saturday and was able to get my second wolf here in Idaho. It was a crazy day. Early in the morning we got into a pack and got them howling for 45mins or so, but couldn't ever catch up to them. The wind eventually picked up and we lost track of them.

So we moved on and ran into a guy who just so happened to be on another pack of wolves all morning. He decided they were too far to go after, but after a little persuasion I talked him and my brother into it.

They were around 1700ft straight up a hillside from us bedded on a little bench. It was mid-day as we were approaching and the thermals were heading right for them. I just knew they were going to smell us long before we saw them. So we decided to split up around each side of the bench so one of us would get a shot if they spooked left or right. My brother decided to stay back as a lookout. My side of the hill produced no wolves and just crunchy snow, so I cut back to the ridge and headed for the bench they were last bedded on. In the process I un-intentionally cut of Rob and got way ahead of him on the ridge (sorry buddy).
I reached the bench and saw no wolves. I turned back to glass my brother for hand signals. I couldn't see him very well but I could tell he was freaking out. Jumping jacks bordering on gymnastics would be the best description; then I heard him howl. Knowing something was up I turned around to take a few more steps up the hill to see a little more of the bench. Up jumps a wolf at 40 yards. He ran and I howled getting him to slow down around 80 yards. I shot off-hand and he disappeared. I side-hilled about 10 steps to where I thought he would escape and sat down to get ready for more shots. He appeared right where I'd hoped and I took a running shot at 150...miss...250...miss. Finally I led him by almost a whole dog length and dropped him at 285 yards. Fist pumps and hollers commenced. During that time Rob had also shot at another wolf that I never saw; unfortunately he missed. There were 8 total in the pack, and these two were the only ones that presented a shot.
What an amazing experience and what a beautiful dog. So thankful for Rob sharing the location of the pack and stomping up the hill with me. I just wish he would have got one instead of me.

He was just under 7ft long (hanging nose to foot)and weight 84.5lbs. F&G estimated him at 2-3 years old.
finallogo_zps21c1b34c.jpg

8x10logo_zpsc8f52703.jpg

Here is last year's wolf. She was a yearling (last years pup) and weighed 73lbs.
887002_484369908295920_1699705086_o_zps89f42143.jpg

Here is another unrelated picture.
This is a wolf skull from N Idaho off a 130lb alpha male giant.
and an 18" P&Y bear skull.
469855_301122539955556_1493962969_o.jpg

Same wolf skull with a coyote and a fox
472269_301119866622490_1464081645_o.jpg

www.pure-elevation.com
www.facebook.com/pureelevation

Great Job!Thanks for helping our Elk and Deer out. Going to go out myself this weekend to try to get another one. Hope you guys have some more luck.

Thanks riverrat! So you got one too? and you're working on another one? If so, lets see some pictures.
Good luck!!

The F&G biologist said this next month or so is their mating season. So I think they'll probably be more likely to answer to howls than usual. Especially if you know how to do a challenge type of howl.

www.pure-elevation.com

I was able to howl and bring the one I got in last December, I have heard that February was also a mating period so I hope it pays off. Pictures are a ways down under "helping the elk out this year". Sure fun when a guy gets into them, been fortunate to have several opportunities over the last few years.

Congrats! You are definitely doing you part! I need to hear the story in person. Hopefully you have a few minutes to talk next week when I come up for Tim's wedding.

nice job guys. i always have high ambitions about getting out but rarely do. reading your post jason gets me excited to get out again.

Travis

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-14 AT 08:20AM (MST)[p]Sounds good pugs, bring your rifle, maybe we'll skip the wedding and go kill a few more. ;)

Awesome, way to do your part.

Any taxidermy work being done on either of those? I love the coat on the one from this year.

Thanks Guys, I'm heading out in the morning to look for the rest of them. More tags, more shooters and hopefully more elk saved...we'll see.

As for the taxidermy I'm just tubing them out like a coyote. If and when I get a big one I'll do a rug or lifesize. I might have considered a rug with this one, but he actually had a collar and his neck hair was all jacked up, so just a pelt was good enough.
www.pure-elevation.com

Seems like every fox or coyote I've ever picked up always has fleas. Don't those wolves have fleas? I'd be totally grossed out throwing one of those things around my neck...

So far so good. No fleas yet. Also everyone says they stink. To me they aren't any worse than a coyote. Now after they've hung for a day sure, that is a whole new kind of stink. But overall not too bad.
Last year I got a tick in me from the black one. Kinda worried about lime disease but my smart ass brother told me I was fine because it was a wolf tick not a deer tick...haha. Maybe I have wolf blood in me now.
I do not mess around with guts or feces, that tapeworm is nothing to mess with.
www.pure-elevation.com

Funny how hard working humble people are always the "lucky" ones.

Congrats on a great trophy, and thank you for saving elk.

Suggest we get that man some gas money & send him back out.

Any one interested in helping financially should look into foundation for wildlife. Group in the pandandle that realized the cost to get serious about wolves. You pay $35 (donations also greatly appreciated) to join and keep all your reciepts and they will reimburse you up to $500 per wolf. Just getting rolling, but last year they reimbursed about 20 wolves just in unit 1. This year they are expanding to the whole state. Makes wolf hunting tons more feasable for any one on a budget.
http://www.foundationforwildlifemanagement.org/
www.youtube.com/watch?v=urK2Cz-0wV4

>Any one interested in helping financially
>should look into foundation for
>wildlife. Group in the
>pandandle that realized the cost
>to get serious about wolves.
> You pay $35 (donations
>also greatly appreciated) to join
>and keep all your reciepts
>and they will reimburse you
>up to $500 per wolf.
> Just getting rolling, but
>last year they reimbursed about
>20 wolves just in unit
>1. This year they
>are expanding to the whole
>state. Makes wolf hunting
>tons more feasable for any
>one on a budget.
>http://www.foundationforwildlifemanagement.org/
>www.youtube.com/watch?v=urK2Cz-0wV4

>Any one interested in helping financially
>should look into foundation for
>wildlife. Group in the
>pandandle that realized the cost
>to get serious about wolves.
> You pay $35 (donations
>also greatly appreciated) to join
>and keep all your reciepts
>and they will reimburse you
>up to $500 per wolf.
> Just getting rolling, but
>last year they reimbursed about
>20 wolves just in unit
>1. This year they
>are expanding to the whole
>state. Makes wolf hunting
>tons more feasable for any
>one on a budget.
>http://www.foundationforwildlifemanagement.org/
>www.youtube.com/watch?v=urK2Cz-0wV4

This is a grass roots organization that is all about elk recovery.

In only its second year it already has over 300 members, they are an organization made up primarily of hunters, that have found a way to make a difference in predator management.

Congrats on your second, im working on my second as well, went out this evening and seen lots of tracks but never seen or heard anything, maybe 1 but still not quite sure, going to start getting good cause breeding season is upon us!! They should start responding to howls pretty well!! Well see! Congrats again! Kill em All! Xtreme

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom