another yellowstone question

C

CUTTHROAT

I think I'll stay at Madison campground for a couple nights the first of June.

Where are the biggest concentrations of elk, bison, bears, wolves or sheep that time of year. I want to spend some time on some couple hour hikes but also don't mind just taking pictures from the road if that's where the animals are.

We would have to take a guess, your best bet is too check with a local ranger in the park. They normally know where the animals are hanging out.

RELH

I think they keep most wolf and bear info to themselves. Any experience from previous years would be appreciated. I realize it won't gaurantee anything this year, though. Thanks.

When I was there in July one year, the Elk were in Gibbons Meadows and cars lined the roadway there to take pictures.

Brian

i havent been to yellowstone for quite awhile...used to see bighorns on east side of road as you came in from gardiner montana...used to see elk at mammoth and lamar valley...bison in lamar valley also...as i said this was awhile ago...happytohunt

we were there early july one year...saw a griz in the lamar valley..ne corner, which is apparently where the wolves are as well, also saw a black bear, lots of bison, elk, etc. but i think the wolves and bears are most common in the lamar valley. bighorns were a bit south of there and they walked right up the road next to the many cars parked and one young ram came within 15ft of me. couple of moose spotted on the west side of yellowstone lake. a former co-worker has a condo in big sky has spotted a pack of wolves last summer on the road from big sky to west yellowstone. we saw moose, elk, deer all in that area too outside of the park.
the folks who are watching the wolves are in the field at first light with spotting scopes. not sure if they come within camera range.

For wolves and griz your best bet is first light or last light in the Lamar Valley (northeast entrance road). For black bear, try the Rosevelt and Tower area. The Hayden Valley between Canyon and Fishing Bridge is very good for buffalo and bear. Elk can be seen many places, including along the Madison River between West Yellowstone and Madison Campground. Wolves and bear can also occasionally be seen north of the Norris area.

Check in at a visitors center and ask for recent reports of sightings from other visitors. They can also tell you if there is are any elk/buff carcases near the road that are attracting bears and/or wolves. Basically, it is hard to avoid seeing either elk or buffalo. Keep your eyes open when driving by the vehicle pullouts in Hayden Valley and Lamar Valley for groups with spotting scopes all pointing in the same direction.

Mark

(wish this page had a spellchecker)

LAST EDITED ON May-01-06 AT 03:06PM (MST)[p]I'll be there over Memorial Day weekend. They raised the entrance fee to $25 this year. Madison is a good campground, get your reservation.

IMG_0693.jpg

Wolves: Try slough creek, there has been a lot of activity the past couple of weeks. Also, the LaMar Valley 2 packs of wolves frequent this area. Grizzlies are out look for recent kills.

You should hit the bison calving season and the elk calves will be coming fast a furious. A lot of activity at that time of year. Hayden Valley is a must drive and then turn east at fishing bridge and drive along the lake. I have seen many grizzlies along the drive.

You'll see a grundle of elk coming in from West Yellowstone. Watch for the nesting bald eagle on the right hand side of the road about 5 miles in from the West entrance.

Big Horn Sheep are found on the road from Mammoth to Gardner in the North. Mountain Goats can be seen on the LaMar Valley Drive as you approach Silver Gate before you leave the park.

We are Yellowstone aholics, been there for 35 straight years running. Have fun and take along some extra memory cards.

We always go to Yellowstone the around the second weekend in June. Great time to see the Elk, Bear, and Wolves. We stay at the small campground at Tower Falls, Lots of bear in that area. Make sure you take a good spotting scope and you will be able to see the animals you want to see in Lamar Valley. Just look for all the people stopped along the road.

I'll echo the comments on visiting the Lamar Valley at first light. One morning last year we saw wolves and grizzlies at around 6:30 a.m. during a drive into the valley.

Elk can be found most anywhere. Depending on the time of year, you can eat your lunch at a picnic table surrounded by cows and calves at the Mammoth Hot Springs lodge. We've watched bull herds lounging in the Gibbon River meadows between Madison and Norris.

Sometimes you just get plain lucky. In one short 30 minute drive, my kids got to watch a coyote stalk and kill a marmot; and a black bear swim along a lakeshore while her cub scampered along the bank. Pretty neat morning!

Thanks Guys! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I know I could spend a month there if I had the time. It sounds like Lamar Valley is a must. I'll post plenty o fpics in the photo forum if I get some good ones.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom