Antelope? 48, 46, 47 or...

Riggo

My friends drew area 11 bull tags and want me to go along. Its my gear and prior exp that's draws us. However, Always seen goats across the highway on the way to Hanna and Medicine Bow prior. Thoughts r my son and I would burn our lope points in one of the areas listed and try to get a goat or 2 if we can. I'd be interested in all feedback in regards to HMA's or a trespass fees to fulfill our trip and to help them as needed. Our hope is to make a archery trip and to return if needed in October. Really after a memorable hunt with a decent oppurtunity for an average buck...maybe a bit of prarie dogs thrown in for him..he's 10 BTW. Thanks in advance!

Riggo

We went to area 46 last year and had Simpson Ridge HMA slips. There were 5 of us and we ended up taking all our bucks off of BLM land that touched roads. Seemed like last year there were more animals on the other HMA, I think it is Medicine Bow River. We also took 3 does and could have filled the rest but were sick of processing meat by that time. The biggest buck was 14" and the locals said that was good for as late in season we were there. We hunted in October and it seemed that guys were not obeying the rules for the HMA because they were on it before October 5th. I don't think we ever saw anyone more than 20 yards off the road and we got lucky because the BLM piece we were successful on touched the road and went a mile off the road so we just walked and stalked animals further from the road. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replys,. Buckeye, Did you obtain your doe tags on the leftover list? I'd be inclined to try and get one. I have the HMA info in front of me and appreciate the info on that as well. Considering we'll be there after the opener as well, is it not worth our time to apply in the draw for a HMA?

I agree. You can get antelope in any of those areas. There are landowners in 47 where you can get access and the HMA's in 46.

Antelope numbers are down, but still plenty available for the number of licenses issued. It's a fun hunt and if you do a little hiking, you'll find some good bucks in little cuts out of the wind that others won't locate.

Best of luck to you.

>Thanks for the replys,. Buckeye, Did
>you obtain your doe tags
>on the leftover list? I'd
>be inclined to try and
>get one. I have the
>HMA info in front of
>me and appreciate the info
>on that as well. Considering
>we'll be there after the
>opener as well, is it
>not worth our time to
>apply in the draw for
>a HMA?

We applied for our doe tags at the same time we applied for our buck tags. We actually saw more antelope in the unit across the road from Simpson Ridge. The HMA's did not fill up from what I saw. If I go back for antelope again I will go drive around a little bit to see which HMA seems to be holding more animals and then drive back to Laramie to pick up permission slips. Last year it seemed Medicine Bow River held more animals but that can change easily. I tried to upload a few pictures last night and it didn't work. No matter what it was a fun time. We had 2 guys in their mid 60's and one was not that mobile. He was super excited that I helped him get a small buck. He hunted many times out west and it was the first time he actually filled a tag.

Over the years I have hunted 47 a few times.Got two 15 inch bucks on the wall from that unit on BLM land.Back in the days I used to hunt that unit,we would see 200-300 or more animals per day,had your choice on bucks.Don't know how it is today and thought about going there this year but opted for unit 41.

I was in 46 type 2 last year during the 2nd season and it was super tough. They offer a gob of tags and I saw just about 0 antelope off the main roads using binocs and a spotting scope. I guess I'm not used to hunting units with that much hunting pressure. Take a look at how many doe and buck tags are issued for such a small unit! There was around 10" of snow on Simpson when the 2nd season opened and in the HMA regs they mention hunters aren't allowed on dirt roads when they are "muddy". It was super tough hunting compared to what I'm used...and I don't consider myself a "road hunter". Just be forewarned if you decide on 46 that it may be tough if there is mud and snow! There are VERY few roads that run through the unit especially when muddy. The main highway around the parameter is pretty void of antelope and antelope are definitely spooked away from main roads by the 2nd season!

48 and 47 have far more public land and you don't have to rely on a heavily hunted HMA. If you must, hunt it as soon as it opens, as the remainder of the season it will be tough if the HMA is unlimited. For it's proximity to area 11, 48 would be a good choice.

I would try 48, then 47. I hunt those areas about every other year when I draw. If you get off the roads you can find lots of goats to look at. No as many animals as a few years ago but you can still pretty much guarantee to fill tags if you have a bit of time to hunt.

Thanks a bunch for all your responses. I'm leaning towards the 48 tag more after we've done some research. I'm not certain that our points will be enough to draw however. Looks like the 46 tag is a bit easier. Again, THANKS
Riggo

me and a buddy applied for 48 also. i think we have about a 50% chance with 1 point. (im pretty sure a math wiz will jump on here and set me straight) i am thinking about trying to pick up a leftover cow tag for the same trip if there is a unit in the near vicinity that would have one. I figure i am making the trip, i might as well hunt as much as possible.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-14 AT 11:21PM (MST)[p]Antelope 46-1, 48-1 and 48-2 lost fifty tags each this year. 46-2, 47-2 lost 100 tags each and 47-1 lost 300 tags this year. These units together lost over 1000 doe tags. People going off last years odds are going to be mighty disappointed this year.

The cuts are good though. Hopefully the herds will rebound quickly.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom