Antelope Advice

505Hunter

Hey there fellow MM?ers,

Firstly, congrats to all those who have tagged or knew someone who has tagged out. I was skunked this year so have been enjoying seeing others successes, stories, and memories.

That being said, I am actively looking at areas for antelope next year. I have never hunted them before - so don't know much about it. I have seen them in several areas that I drive through, mostly private land.

Couple questions:
1) previous years those tags had a ?*? which meant you'd be assigned to a ranch, but this year I didn't see that. Does this mean ranchers are basically partnering with G&F and allowing any hunters on? Do we need written permission still if not strictly private? Is public land an option as well?

2) As far as units go, most seem to have a decent satisfaction and success rate. I'm really just looking at trying it out. I was considering unit 38, as it is close to me or around the mountainair / Willard / Morarity Area. Has anyone done this area and if so, what we're your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

New antelope system, if you draw a tag you can hunt all the legally accessible public land in that unit. You can also hunt any private that you have permission to hunt in the that unit.

Private tags are unlimited ( which is BS) can only hunt private land legally in the same unit. There is an exception a land owner can get through G&F. It's all on there web site

No more assigned ranches and no ranches are just letting random public hunt. It's just like deer now.

In 20+ years of applying I have never draw a rifle antelope tag. So good luck on your endeavor, beginners luck never hurts, or pay private to hunt.

Hope they change it back, otherweise it's not even worth applying for the 20 acres of public land that antelope are on.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom