Antelope along I-5

cjboz

Very Active Member
I was headed back home today up I-5 and saw a group of about 12-15 does and a buck on the West side of I-5 between Maxwell and Willows right on the county line out in a cut rice field. Anyone seen this group before? Damn sure made me do a double take! !!

I saw them around Willows quite a few years ago, like 15 or so. I havn't been by there in a few years, pretty cool seeing them there.

BC

I'd assume from eating so much rice that they're driving skills are becoming very poor?

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

I 've seen them numerous times from Highway 20, between the town of Williams and going into the canyon heading to Clear Lake. All the orchards along that stretch have now moved them as the natural grasslands shrink.

"I'd assume from eating so much rice that they're driving skills are becoming very poor?"

Campfire must be slow??

Wouldn't it be nice if the whole of Sac Valley is one day populated with huntable numbers of Antelope? All from that one small group!

Joey

One year they had a few tags for that herd. But I only noticed it that one year. For some reason they're not doing very well. I forget the name of that herd.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-11 AT 10:33PM (MST)[p]I don't think this herd has ever been hunted. They were transplanted back in the 60's and they have just never done very well. Many of the local kids have taken a few here and there over the years and many have been hit on I-5 and 99W.

Instead of staying up in the dry hills they came down into the alfalfa, row crops, rice and corn.....go figure.

I remember my first pheasant hunt near Maxwell. I got to the end of the field and jumped a forked horn buck and and a buck antelope. Not something you see everyday in CA!

About 10 years ago I saw a road runner in that same area I thought I was going crazy,I got home and did a little research on them and found out thats part of there range the sac valley,anybody else ever see a road runner in that area?

>About 10 years ago I saw
>a road runner in that
>same area I thought I
>was going crazy,I got home
>and did a little research
>on them and found out
>thats part of there range
>the sac valley,anybody else ever
>see a road runner in
>that area?

I've seen quite a few roadrunners in the foothills just west of Maxwell but never in the valley...and usually see that goats about every third or fourth trip through the area.

I remember seeing one in the early 1970's in El Dorado county of all places.
I sure was glad I had a couple of other guys in the truck at the time, for confirmation.

Those Speed Goats have been there for years. I have multiple family members up there that are rice farmers, dairy men, ect. They used to come close to the freeway all the time and would be on one of my Uncles fields sometimes. Now they hang back by the foothills mostly.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't start seeing Elk from the freeway. The herd has moved way east along hwy 20 and are in the first set of hills you come to when you leave Williams headed to Clear Lake.

-John Wayne

6X7......
the 2nd thing to go is the mind (roadrunners!)...look like this!
2684images.jpg

J/K

>About 10 years ago I saw
>a road runner in that
>same area I thought I
>was going crazy,I got home
>and did a little research
>on them and found out
>thats part of there range
>the sac valley,anybody else ever
>see a road runner in
>that area?

Seen road runners at the west end of road 14, west of Zamora.
Yolo, co.
Took a few pictures of RR in New Mexico last week...

Not to steal your thunder but I've seen lopes east of King City on Hwy 25 towards Hollister. I've also seen them out by Panoche in a secluded valley west of I5. There are private herds in several parts of the state.

JR

The first time I ever saw an antelope around Willows, it was a lone buck, a nice buck of about 14", and it was standing in a flooded rice field! It was in June, so the rice was still barely out of the water, and the buck was walking along in the water. I never told people about it because I figured everyone would think I'm nuts.

Since then, I've seen them several times.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom