Antelope and duh wind

stinky

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-18 AT 09:07PM (MST)[p]How do antelope react to smells? Do they? Or are they only interested in what they see?
John 14:6

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-18 AT 01:46AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-18 AT 01:41?AM (MST)

Although antelope have incredible eyes they have a nose that is just as good as deer or elk. I usually keep wind direction in mind on stalks....especially when hunting with bow. I always keep wind direction in mind when setting up waterhole blinds.

This past season I was stalking a buck and didn't notice a doe that was out of sight on the downwind side of me. The group of antelope bolted and ran out 250 yards.... and stopped on the opposite ridge to take a look. I whacked the buck!

I usually carry some fibers in my pocket that I use for detecting wind direction. Bright colored fibers are nice because you can watch as thermals carry them long distance....sometimes I watch the fiber through my binos. Usually in Wyo the wind is howling so hard that there is no doubt which direction the wind is blowing.

Antelope have incredible eye-sight but I definitely keep wind direction/thermals in mind on stalks.

I have found yes they can smell well...but really like to confirm with sight...like a elk or muley needs zero confirmation...not always but usually

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom