antelope help?

C

casey

i drew the plateau muzzeloader tag for the sept 29 through october 7 . i was wondering if anybody had any help on were to start and what kind of bucks to expect. not going to have much time because my brother drew the wasatch muzzeloader elk tag. was hoping if he got his bull early i would go and try to fill my tag. any help would be great.
kenny

You will not have any problem filling that tag. There is a lot of antelope on that unit. I am very familiar with it and have gone the past three years (my tag, dad's and friends). You will see a lot of bucks between 65-70". There are a few bigger around the 75" mark. Ours scored 70", 73 1/4 and 75.
I'll send you a pm.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

If your unsure if you will be able to hunt why not turn the tag back in and hunt it next year?

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

You should be able to fill your tag easy. My wife went out three days after the opener and we woke up late with our twin boys and father and mother inlaw. We had breakfast and then took off on the wheeler. 20 min later we saw our first buck and then she had it down with in 45 min. Drove the wheeler right up to it loaded it up and by noon we where swimming in the pool. She killed a 75" buck. I think you can do it. If you want some help PM me.

I am very familar with this area, since this is where my family has been for about 100 yrs. I have had an opportunity to look and talk to my immediate family who still live in the area. they say there are very few antelope since they have rounded up approximatly 600 a year for the last several year. my brother was doing work out on the plateau for 2 weeks and said they have not even seen 25 goats. I have also talked to many of the archery hunters this year and they have said they have not seen much either. most are saying the average size now days is approximatly 8 to 9 inches tall. poor chance of getting anything worth mounting. many are very very disappointed with what the dwr has done, another hunting unit not worth hunting. like i said i have been to the area and not worth the hunt.

We just got back from the rifle hunt there. My brother and sister both had tags. The unit is not even close to what it once was. They have ruined it. We drove almost 200 miles saturday and sunday and saw a total of maybe 40 animals. and only 3 bucks that were taller than 10" One of those my brother shot. Out of all the hunters that we saw down there for the opening weekend we only saw 6 taged animals. It is to bad that they have killed the unit. It used to be an awsom place to hunt were you could be a little picky and find some nice goats, but know if you wanting to fill your tag I would suggest not being very picky.

Good luck to you. I hope that you have a better experience than we did.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Casey, We will have all of the hot spots for you guys when you get here. We have friends that hunt down there all the time and they are getting me all the information you will need.

It's always an adventure!!!

Casey,
Word is that the DWR sent out letters yesterday that the muzzy hunt and doe hunt have been canceled on the the Parker. I heard this from a good source and from what we have seen this year I think is the right thing to do, even if it is a little to late.

There are not enough deer in Utah...FOR REAL.

Good news. From what we saw on our hunt it needs to be shut down for a few years to allow for a bounce back. That unit is in some real trouble.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Just called the DWR and they are not closing the MuzzleLoader hunt. But they are closing the doe hunt. She said that they are recommending turning your tag in. They will give your points back but not your money. (go figure). My wife has a tag, she drew with 0 points. They should close the hunt and REFUND all the money. Anyways we are really disappointed to say the least.

With 0 points I would say go have fun. You never know. And if you don't get a buck then your not out a ton. Its still a great place to camp. Message me your number and I might be able to give you some tips or locations to check out were we found them this last weekend.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

I come from that area and talking to my family still in the area there are not any antelope to even find. A real waste of time. I also have friends who have hunted this area during the archery and rifle hunts and all have said there is absolutly no antelope left in this unit. last night when talking to my family they said the herds if you find one will only be 3 or 4 goats in a herd. this is an area that use to have thousands. the dwr imbeleshises their numbers to sale tags. anyone hunting there will need more than luck and some knowledge they will need a miracle.

Post hunt!!!

Well the hunt is over for my wife. She wasn't able to harvest an antelope. She was able to get 2 shots on the last day.

First shot was at a huge buck.... We were not seeing any antelope, it was very foggy and stormy, we were coming around a bend and there standing 50 yds off the road were 20 antelope with one big buck. We were totally caught off guard scrambling to get a cap. The antelope take off running by us at only 30 yds. But by the time she got the cap on they were out at 100yds. She took the shot but missed.

Second chance was at a descent buck about 175 yds it was trotting and she shot behind him.

We were only able to hunt 3 days and we saw a total of 57 antelope with only 4 bucks.
Pretty tuff hunt. The numbers are very sad. I hope the DWR get the population back up so I can hunt there in a few years.

Did anyone kill on the Muzz hunt???

RE: Post hunt!!!

Same story here My son and I went out most goats were so far away and in the open we could not sneak or even get close. Saw one fair buck at about 1200 yards as soon as we stopped and looked he was on a dead run. No luck here. I also hope the DWR does something about bringing back the heards (deer and antelope).

Hopefully the DWR will ge the numbers up!!! Sorry to hear the hunt didn't pan out for a couple of you. There is always Wyoming for goats!!!

I heard the DWR had to take a bunch of goats off Parker because the livestock people were mad there were so many. There used to be 3500 and now there may be a 1000.

The numbers will come up now the fish and game has stopped trapping them.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom