antelope help

smitty

Very Active Member
Gotta put me and 2 buddies in for goats. We each have 3 pts. Been looking at units 100, 93, 94.

Looks like we will need to put in upper money to draw. Just looking to see if you guys have any advice on these units. Better access, better bucks, more goats, severe winter kill, etc......

I killed a nice goat in 100 a few years ago, but only hunted one day with my then 3yr old boy. He's 7 now. Gonna take him along and try to smoke another one. Just bigger.

Any thoughts?

Winter has been a good one. Only a few cold snaps, with very little snow. We need more rain. 94 has gone down hill, in trophy quality. Too many tags, and not enough moisture. 93 produced some good hunting for some I talked to last year. I think 93 is kind of a sleeper, as there is a whole lot of country that gets very little pressure. I have seen some good ones along private and public. 100 just seems to hang in there, from year to year. You can make your hunt what you want it to be. Keep looking for a big one or get tired of seeing the same ol same ol, shoot a 13 or 14 incher, and go home. Weather is always a factor. If it gets really wet with monsoons, travel gets real nasty. My advise, if the weather is bluebird, take your time, enjoy the experience, and don't worry about filling the tag. You can do that whenever you want to be done.

Smitty, here are a few we took out of 100 last year. Hunted off and on for 8 days before I found the buck of a lifetime for me. I would be glad to share any info that would help you.
4405104_0012.jpg
My son's 15"

8086104_0018.jpg

My 17" buck, I've hunted a lot of years before I found one like this.

Those are two reallly nice "well above average" goats you and your son took. Congrats and thanks for sharing those photos with us!

Nice bucks! If a person has enough time, there always seems to be a dang good buck hiding somewhere, in about any unit. It takes true dedication, and sometimes flat out luck to find them. You fellows did well. Good Job.

Thanks for nice comments. I also agree that there is a great buck in every unit at least a 80" or better. We passed up dozens and dozens of bucks day after day. Some that I even thought later that I should have taken. Waiting paid off big time and a little luck always helps. Hope to do it again in a few years.

Three of us hunted unit 93 last fall. It was a blast. We took 2 decent bucks and 1 solid buck. I think it went in the mid 70's. These were our first ever antelope tags so we were careless about horn size. We drew with 3.3 points each in the special draw. It was really cool glassing up antelope and gobs of moose in the viewfinder at the same time. We shot our bucks on top of a mountain basically. Could not have had a better time or hunted in neater country. If you guys are serious about taking trophies I would allow more time than 4 days to find 3 shooters. The nice buck we took was the only one we saw in it's class over 4 days, but it was also our first time ever in the unit so take that with a grain of salt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom