Antelope Hunt Pics Unit 32

nmelktrout

Very Active Member
Well, had a short speedgoat hunt with my old man, who also happens to be one of my favorite hunting buddies and the guy who is responsible for my passion for hunting and fishing. However, this hunt was unlike any hunt we've ever experienced...Imagine hunting big game in a forest of wind turbines. It was wierd to say the least. Showed up on Friday and got the fifty cent tour of the ranch/wind farm my old man had drawn. Turns out he had drawn a tag on one of the ranches near Elida, NM that has 120 200 foot tall wind turbines on it. So, we scouted until dark trying hard to find the few speedgoats that were around. We put one big buck and some does to bed, noting the smaller buck on the next ridgeline as a back-up. The bigger bucks were chasing does and were generally oblivious.... Here's the sunset from the night before opener.
Lope08004.jpg

Woke up the next morning and literally began stalking antelope amongst the forest of wind turbines. At first light we found our big boy working up a ridgline out of a pasture and played cat and mouse with him amongst the windtowers until his does finally had enough, lit out, and ducked under the fenceline and onto the ranch to our North. Right before we lost our game to the big buck I had glassed the smaller buck from the night before working his way up towards us from the next pasture over. He topped out on the next ridgeline to our East leaving us out in the open....except for the wind turbine about 400 yards between us. So, realizing that we were facing down a big rainstorm and with the probability that we might not have another opportunity to harvest, we put the turbine between us and the goat and the "stalk" was on. Luckily all of the turbines were spinning at full speed so there was no chance that the buck could hear anything. Reaching the turbine my old man leaned around the side to find the buck standing broadside at around 100 yards. Here's the picture immediately after my father took his shot and the buck nosedived. (note my dad at the base of the turbine and you might be able to make out the lump that is his buck out in front of him)
Lope08007.jpg

Here's the young buck, not a monster by any means, but should be some great eating and we felt very fortunate to have harvested considering how many hunters we spoke with that had not even seen a buck.
Lope08008.jpg

Here's a pic of my old man and me (yeah I look like a poindexter with my glasses on, but my contacts just weren't going in that morning)
Lope08013.jpg

So, we quartered and skinned the buck and were packing up camp by 9:30 on opening morning as we were in a hurry to beat the coming rains and because my old man wanted to get back to his archery elk camp back in Colorado. Had a great hunt with my father but it sure was different hunting among these wind turbines. 200 ft tall with 80 foot long blades, here's a pic for scale. Hope everybody else had some good hunts this weekend!

-Cody

Lope08020.jpg

Congrats to your dad on the Lope hunt, a nice Buck anyway. Those wind turbine towers look to be about 100 yards apart, is that a fare guess? One way to know how far the game is away is knowing beforehand the distance between them towers and judge accordinly.
Thanks for posting the pictures.

Brian

any hunt with family or friends is great but it's something special to hunt with your dad.congrats on a hunt you will never forget.

tony

Cody, congrats on a nice buck.Glad to hear you and your dad had a good hunt , nothing wrong with that buck at all , and your right,he should be pretty good eating.Thanks for the story and great pics....

Those are great pictures. Makes me want to get out with my dad again. He's probably a bit too ornery, though. Did you get a lecture about being careful not to shoot a turbine?

Thanks guys, we had fun and it is always great to get out with my old man. He's tough to keep up with and is currently packed several miles into the wilderness area that we hunt back home in NW Colorado for two weeks with my buddies from Alaska. I'll hopefully post some pics as we typically arrow a couple of elk on that hunt every year. Sadly, I'm stuck at work and in a wedding so won't make it up this year...but can't complain as I drew the first rifle hunt in the Sargent in a couple of weeks which should be pretty sweet. Probably won't get as big a bull as last year but I'm sure as hell gonna' try! We've got a few more hunts lined up and it looks like I might be able to get him a LO tag for the Gila later in the season.

Those windtowers were in clusters of threes and were roughly 100 yards apart in their respective clusters. And KTC, I'm finally starting to get used to all of the wierd satellite and wind farms I seem to be hunting in or near. Just goes to show that you never know what you will see in good old New Mexico.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom