Antelope Island Buck Pictures- On the Hoof or Sheds

bucksmut

All the recent talk about the proposed Antelope Island hunt got me curious about the quality of deer on the island over the years that MMers have captured in photos. I have seen some dandys from out there as I live pretty close but lets see some of your pictures from sheds or bucks living on the island.

Plus...

If you show me yours (pictures) I'll show you an awesome dead head we found on Tuesday during the open access. (I still need to upload the pics.)

I was out there tuesday, and would post some pics, but we didn't find anything worth taking a picture. So enough with the teasing lets see you buck you found. Did you get to keep the head, or did they tell you it was poached, and they needed to keep it for evidence.

If its the big Non Typical that Scott got from you then the soon to be auction tag holder is gonna be pissed. :) Thats a great buck. I'm guessing upper 220's and 33 wide.

Yelum

Here's the awesome sheds that we found in 6 hours of hiking the North West.
9845ai_sheds.jpg

We did meet some guys that had more. A few guys had 10-12 each, and I did see a nice dead head that a guy had. I also know of a 110 inch shed picked up.
Good Times overall, just wish I could have come across a biggun.

Damn, with sheds like that, I think I will drop a couple hundred thousand to hunt on the Island.

Here are some pics i have taken out there over the last 3 years. Sorry about the pic quality i have a crappy camera or it might be the crappy photographer i'm not sure yet.

619417166_102774143084027_100000543250185_75610_2753532_n.jpg

181517166_102774453083996_100000543250185_75625_4340218_n.jpg

364417166_102775463083895_100000543250185_75719_3858939_n.jpg

52017166_102775536417221_100000543250185_75740_333918_n.jpg

439917166_102775613083880_100000543250185_75763_5135960_n.jpg

661917166_102775623083879_100000543250185_75766_7403892_n.jpg

MULEYSTALKER, that 2nd to last pic is a beast. If you saw him the summer before last, then I saw the same buck. A 7x10.

Yelum

453610x7back.jpg

269110x7side.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-10 AT 07:23PM (MST)[p]Actually, my 15 year old took them. He got a new pair of binos and we went out the to try them out. He held up his binos and took the pics through them. I thought it was awesome. Only time I ever saw the buck though.

How about the buck with the city lights in the background. When did you take it? 2002 maybe?

Yelum

Yelum, I took that city light buck pic the same summer i took the other one. I seen that buck a couple of times but it was always almost dark or he was too far away for pics. He had an awesome mainframe with some long extra points.
Those pics your son took are awesome especially if you took them through bino's.

Ya, he reminded me a lot of this buck I filmed in 2002. They used to come out a lot earlier in thre evening back then.

Yelum

8249dsc00263.jpg

Nice pictures and great bucks! I like the city lights buck too. I am working on getting these up asap. Having a hard time getting these off my phone. Might have to retake them with a real camera.

I think I figured my phone out! Here is the promised deadhead buck from AI.

TheFind.jpg

6.jpg

I think I would have a heart attack if I seen this bruiser on the hoof while hunting!

If anyone has any pics of this deer alive they would be cool to see.

Those are great pics and that buck is a beast. Great find. You won't see too many bucks better than that out there.

Yelum

That's a great looking buck.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Did you score that buck? I streatched a tape across it while it was in the fish cops truck, I came up with just over 31 inches wide if I remember right. I did check out an awesome, massive four point that was found that day. It had close to 28 inch beams and the mass around the last beam measurement was right near 6 inches.......it was a pig!

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

Lieca,
Pig is exactly how I would discribe that shed as well. In 8 years, I've only seen one buck that heavy out there, but he was still packing.

Yelum

Yelum, was that shed found mon, or tue. We ran in to a guy tuesday with a giant 5 point. It had a 4 point frame with a little sticker, the mass was unreal. Is this the same horn, I heard there was one like it found monday.

If i remember right it did have a little sticker but i'm not sure if it was a scorable point or not. The one I seen was on Tuesday.

Sit tall in the saddle, hold your head up high, keep your eyes fixed to where the trail meets the sky...

anyone else notice the back right fork(s) of the dead head is really similar to the buck on the cover of the current ebj?

Yes, its the same shed found on Tuesday. Back in Nov I watched a buck with very similar mass, but actually had better beams and a deeper back fork. Also had a 2+ inch cheater. He also had a 7-8 inch inline between his forks on the other side. At the time I told my buddy its the most masssive deer I've ever seen on trhe island. Another buddy saw him still packing on the monday hunt. The match to the shed you guys saw had a 5 inch droptine.

Yelum

Have you heard if the other side was ever picked up. Two of the guys I was with helped that guy look for the other side, but never found it. That would be an awesome set to matchup.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-10 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]Bucksmut, did you find him in the bottom of a canyon or revene?
buy the way GREAT FIND, I love the short g2s. lools like he has great mass also.

That dead head looks like the same buck Yelum posted the live photo of in velevet. Maybe a year different or if it is not him it is his twin or direct descendant.

cjboz,
It does look very similar but I actually think this pic taken a few years earlier is a the same buck, just younger.

Yelum

9680island_buck_3.jpg

Yelum- I think you are right. Looking at the pictures it looks like the pictured buck has less tines but I definatly think it is the same deer as the deadhead. The genral shape and tine formation look identical. Those are sweet to see. Thanks for the pics and vids. I'll e-mail you later. What year were these pictures taken?

Tine- Thanks. He was found right next to the DWR officer in the photo in the ravine. We were really carefull not to touch or move the head and follow protocal exactly as the proclomation dictates so we didn't complicate things. We sat there and tried to get service for an hour and finally got a hold of an officer to inspect the find. He got there really quick and we led him right to where we found it and left it untouched. Why do you ask?

Bucks
We filmed this deer in the fall of 03 or 04. We figured he was probably a 3 year old deer, due to body size and immiturity. He had a great rack but was very timid when a older deer came around. Even with much smaller racks, they would send him running. If your buck died in the fall of 08, that would put this buck at 7 or 8 years old.

Yelum

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom