Antelope mount

nmtaxi

Very Active Member
Here is a pedestal mount I just finished for a customer. It's not my favorite pose (un-natural) but that's what he wanted. I think it came out nice anyway.
101Ante_2003_4-med.jpg

101Ante_2003_5-med.jpg

I see what you meen by it not being your favorite pose. It looks like a penguinlope with those stubby little wings. Not a bad job tho!
Wes

You'd be surprised at how many people request this pose. I'm doing an oryx right now in the same pose. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to the mounts I do also. I take what the customer wants, and give him as good of mount as possible within the confines of their wants.

Customer is always right. Well at least 80% of the time anyway, LOL. Two thumbs up for the work but the form leaves little to be desired.

Drum

nmtaxi....they say some of the best advertising is through word of mouth. So I have a question, just out of curiousity.....Do you ever worry about someone seeing something like that or something else you've done for a customer that you don't really "like", pose wise and hope they don't think that's the only type of work you do?

I just thought it might be tough because obviously you do great work but unfortunately a pose like that kind of takes away from it. It still looks good, because of the good taxi work, but your right, just a little un-natural.

I really don't post pictures to advertise. I have plenty of work, and really don't need anymore. I just post them because I think people might enjoy seeing them. I know I do. I was curious to see what people would think about this one in particular. And a little constructive criticism never hurts (although "yuk" isn't very contructive). For what that mount was, I thought it came out pretty good. The musle-tone in the face, the expression of the face is just what I was trying to do. Believe me, I am my own harshest critic. And I know that most people that know taxidermy can see it for what it is. One of the problems with this particular antelope in this pose, is that it was killed in Aug., and had thin hair. So, the neck is really thin-looking on him. The antelope down here don't get near as big body-wise as the northern antelope, anyway.
The funny thing about that pose is that almost the exact same pose on a pronghorn won "gamehead of the year" at the National Taxidermy Assoc. convention a couple of years ago. It's all about taste. Anyway, the customer was thrilled with it.
Maybe y'all like this one better :)
101WP1-med.JPG

nmtaxi....I hope you didn't take my question the wrong way. I didn't mean to emply that you were advertising, I was just saying in general. I thought maybe it would be hard for you to do it one way when you know another way would look better.

Either way they're both real good, the last one's sweet.

nmtaxi-where are you located? I am here in Albuq and I always have clients with something they want mounted. I need to be able to say he does good work and doesn't BS about when it will be done. Jim

Muleyslyr, I didn't take it wrong. There's some things I refuse to do, such as neck mounts. I refuse to have my name put on something that looks as bad as that. As far as this antelope, some people love that mount. I don't. And, as I see, most people here don't. But, I don't think anybody's going to look at that and say "Now there's bad taxidermy work".

cost

just out of curiosity, how much would I expect to pay for a mount similar to the second one? I think a muley would look great in that position as well, but the antelope is simply stunning. I shot an antelope with my bow and would have liked to have it mounted, but I was told to put the head out on a fence to let the bugs (mostly beetles) eat the meat off. guess the local badger had his own ideas though and now I have nothing but pictures.

Just a thought...do taxidermists ever offer short courses on preparing animals for mounting? I would certainly be interested in taking the course and it seems it would make their job easier as they wouldn't have to fight with messed up animals (short capes and such).

RE: cost

TC, I think you could probably expect to pay anywhere from $450 to $600 for a wall pedestal like that (for an antelope). Depends on the taxi.
I give my customers a trophy care guide pamphlet, but most of the time it doesn't do any good.
A good rule of thumb is to save half the hide (especially if you want a pedestal). Some guys seem to think that I'm going to charge them per inch of cape :). The more I have to work with, the better.
I cut the skin right in the middle of the animal all the way around (like I was trying to cut it in half). I do not make any incisions in the brisket past this point. I will cut up the back of the legs, then take that straight back to the cut I made in the middle. A lot of guys will make the cut up the back of the legs, and then go to the middle towards the brisket. That makes for a huge mess. Then, just tube skin it to where the skull meets the back bone, and cut the head off. It is extremely important to keep that hide as cool as possible and get it to your taxidermist as quick as possible.

Further Cape Preparation help

nmtaxi,

So where should I make the cut at the front legs?

Also, should I pull a cape before or after field dressing the goat? You make tube skinning sound easy (and maybe it is), but I haven't been fortunate enough to harvest very many animals and have been trying to learn what I can.

This is a very basic question, but I would really appreciate a clear answer. The state of Colorado requires evidence of sex to remain with atleast one quarter of an animal. For antlope and deer, that shouldn't be a problem since I will just put the entire thing in my truck. However, I have never quartered an animal and so have never really worried about leaving the genitalia with a portion of it (since the rack or lack thereof is telling enough of sex). How do you go about field dressing an animal and leaving the genitalia in place. when I was told how to dress a whitetail, that was pretty much the first thing we cut off!

RE: Further Cape Preparation help

nmtaxi

I called my taxidermist the other day and he said that my deer was in the drying phase. I was wondering if you could tell my how long on average is the drying phase for a deer mount.

Thanks

A couple of weeks to dry usually. Then the finish work.

Pretty mounts nmtaxi!

What OSOK said. Every taxidermist works different. I'd say 3 weeks is not unreasonable between mounting and finishing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom