Antelope Mount

Omegasniper23

Hello Fellow Hunters,
I got this Goat back in 2009 using Archery. I am interested in hearing what you all think of the mount, from Cape, to neck size? Also black nosed antelopes are of a mature buck or what is the deal on those? I remember mine having a full black nose as well, not a touch of brown. I want honest opinions on him and the work. He measured 16" and 1/8th and 16" even. Do you think an Antelope of that size should have a better looking coat of fur in August? I think I might have been taken by my taxidermist. Thanks

4546100_0742.jpg

6133100_0743.jpg

5879100_0746.jpg

5493100_0748.jpg

629100_0747.jpg

Post up pics of the kill, so we can compare.

Looking at the mounted pics... what's up with the racing stripes on his face?
I see your concern.

Nmbighorn

Did you drag the carcus after the kill and how hard did you handle the cape? Antelope capes are very touchy as far as abuse the hair will slip as they say, fall out.
I went to a class for Antelope hunters in 2009 in Reno as I had drawn a Lope tag that year. Learned a lot about the animal and what to do and not to do concerning the careful handling of them after the hunt.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Need a pic of the original animal. There are good capes and there are crappy capes. If that is the original cape it is what it is.

I have seen goats with very dark faces and light faces.

I agree that cape is not very nice. It does not have the pronounced colors of a antelope. From the pics the actual taxidermy seems okay, but, pics could be making it look better or worse.

exactly, you need either good field or live shots

there are unfortunately quite a few shady tax men who do swap capes, and if its something that raises your suspicion, it is certainly worth looking into

plenty of mature bucks have an incomplete mask, but if yours was indeed a full blackface, then it looks like you've ended up with a swapper cape

as far as the work itself...the face looks decent, i do not like the neck at all

a buck of that caliber deserves honest and quality tax work

i hope it works out...Good Luck!

A good taxi would have told you about the condition of that cape prior to finalizing the mount. Whether it was how it was handled in the field, or the tanning job, or you getting stuck with some other hunter's cape, that is a pitiful excuse of a cape.

He should have told you what a disaster it would be and given you the option of buying a cape from him, or finding one from someone else. Maybe be doesn't take pride in his work, or care what your animal looks like.

Maybe it is the pictures, but the neck look way out of proportion for the head. The neck looks giraffe-like, long and skinny. The form is really messed up for a big buck like that. Again, it may be the pics, but the pics make it look out of proportion.

You have shot a great buck, and too bad the taxi does not appear to know what he is doing, as far as antelope. Like someone else stated, a buck of that quality deserves a much better job than your taxi provided.

Here is a pic of an antelope cape that was taken care of meticulously while out in the field. And, done by a taxi who knows the difference between an antelope and a giraffe.

3884img_2602.jpg

If you are looking for a new cape to replace that one, send me a PM. I usually end up with a couple capes every year, and give them to my taxi. Would gladly help you find a replacement cape for a buck like that.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-11 AT 10:33AM (MST)[p]Muzzles come in all colors. I've mounted B&C antelope with a lot of brown in the muzzle, and dinks with black muzzles. I've also seen August capes that look pretty bad. As far as the mount, always look at a taxidermist's work before leaving your head. My guess is all his work looks like this.
Here is an antelope my mom killed on a MI hunt in August. Really bad cape on this one.

CopyofDSCF0817.jpg

>Wow BigFin that is a stunning
>mount you have. Who
>did it for you?

Andres Taxidermy in Belgrade, Montana. The guy does museum quailty stuff, at amazing prices, which is why he is soooo busy. Plan on a 12-18 month turnaround, but big smiles when you pick it up.

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom