Antelope Unit 25 question

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
I understand Unit 25 has about 40% public land but access has been called poor. How hard is it to access the public land in this unit? The draw odds look real good so there must be some issues. I just wonder how bad?

Thanks
Phantom Hunter

Although there may be 40% public land in a unit if there isn't a public county road or highway that intercepts the public the public land may be landlocked and off limits to hunting. Usually the draw odds reflect either a lot of private land with difficult access in a unit and/or there are a lot of tags issued in that unit. Sometimes it is a combination of both.

I asked the same question about this unit earlier in the year and didn't get much response. I hunted the unit just above 25 but was thinking about putting in for it. If you look at the BLM maps for the area, there is a decent amount of accessable land towards the north end of the unit - the big question is does it hold any antelope. I did a Google Earth of the area and it looks like it would be OK, so if you pick around you should be able to find some goats, but how big who knows. I'm still considering this unit since the season starts October 1 which is nice.
Good luck to you if you go, post your results if you do.

I also noticed the BLM land on the northern end, but have not searched far enough yet to determine how much is accessable by public. I will keep looking.

Phantom Hunter

Phantom,
If you look at a BLM map - just below Midwest there is an oil field that you can access from the main road, that area is all public and can be accessed. The area may not be much to look at but from what we found last year - the antelope don't seem to much mind the oil fields or the rigs themselves, in fact we got our does in an oil field and the only thing the workers told us was please try not hitting anyting!! It was kind of strange seeing 30-40 head of antelope standing next to a oil well!!

I hunted antelope 2 years ago in an area that is about 95% plus private land and I never had trouble finding antelope on the few pieces of state land. I didn't take an antelope because I didn't find one big enough. I don't see how if a person put forth some effort you couldn't kill a 12-14" buck in any area of the state on public land even if there is very little of it in a given area. If I were a nonresident and wanted to hunt antelope frequently I would put in for an area that you could draw second choice and save your points for a good area.

Thanks for the replies. I am working on a plan that will put me in Wyoming hunting goats the next two or three seasons--I HOPE.

Phantom Hunter

I've said this before, don't let that little asterisk fool you, some areas it's true, some totally not.
Wyo G&F does not need to use this blanket coverage that has no basis in property designation in most of the instances it is doled out without comprehensive definition of their use of it.
If G&F does have a 'formula', we'd all like to hear it.

Rump

I have hunted in 25 for several years now on Private and public land.

Access to public is best in the Northern part of the unit although there is a small walkin piece in the southern part of the unit.

A lot of the units public land is blocked by private so access can be somewhat difficult but not impossible.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER

25 is tough on public land. If you are talking about 2-3 years from now, buy points and apply for a unit with more public land. You will have a more enjoyable hunt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom