antelope unit 29 access

Whiterock

Very Active Member
I see in the guide that unit 29 has limited public land ,but looking at my maps it shows alot of National grasslands. Is access poor to the grasslands?i have never hunted the unit,but thinking of applying there.

I just went into my Wyoming CD ROM and there are several public roads that give plenty of access into a lot of the Grasslands. If you have a good map and a GPS with landowner chip I wouldn't hesitate to put in for antelope there!

Thanks. I got a good map but thought maybe the access could be blocked.My wife and I both have antelope point.Looks like it would be a for sure draw.

Not all the roads are open all the time. Pick up a Motor Vehicle Use Map for the Thunder Basin National Grassland-Douglas Ranger District. It shows open roads and seasonal closures.

The two main public roads that hit a lot of the Grassland are 45 and 38 and done weth the right maps and GPS you should be able to access 40-50 square miles of public property if the trails going off them are open and passable.

Another thing I would do would be to talk to a bio from the Casper Region. Bluetongue hit that area hard last year, a bio can tell you how bad it actually was.
Get the Vehicle Use map, it will save you some grief. If you're caught on a closed road you will be fined.

There is decent access in 29. Make sure you have a GPS landowner chip or a National Grassland map with updates from the ranger station in Douglas. Head to Bill and make a right to access the grasslands. Lots of hunters. I always put it as a second choice to keep my points.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-13 AT 05:53AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-13 AT 05:46?AM (MST)

Still undecided on a Region B deer tag. I have heard some good news and also some bad. We may just hunt antelope and shoot a few prarriedogs.

After talking with the game wardens today,we decided to pass on the mule deer tag this year and apply first choice unit 29 for antelope.
The gloomy outlook for deer in the area has helped us make up our minds.Even antelope numbers are down and also tags for 27 and 29 havebeen cut further again this year,we were told we May not even draw with one point.
We were told that this unit used to have tags availlable as leftovers.Not any more.

I think you're making a wise decision on the deer. I didn't realize they were thinking of making cuts to antelope in 27 and he's right about 29 having leftovers in the past.

Things have really changed out there. In 2011 you could still buy 2 antelope buck tags. The deer hunting was never really that good on the public ground and I hear it is worse now.

I have hunted the Bill area 3 times for antelope on private land. From what I recall there is very limited public access to public land around the Bill area.. Plus the antelope seem to take refuge on the private land. I shot three antelope that scored between 65"-69". I would recommend building points for a better unit, and hunt this unit if there is left over tags available. Even then I may recommend to hunt another left over unit that has better genetics and access. The deer population is also very poor in this area. My recommendation would be to search for a better unit. Good luck!

Brookhunter

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom