Antelope unit 37 (and a little 32) general info?

ClarkW

After many years applying in a few different states, I have finally drawn an antelope tag. It was my third choice. I just received the tag in the mail and it is for a ranch in unit 37 and a little in 32, along Highway 285, pretty close to Roswell. I don't know what to expect from this hunt. With the limit of 2 days prior to scout, I feel like I will not be prepared. I am hoping a call to the Game and Fish office may give me an idea of population and amount of hunters, but I have been told that they can be very unhelpful. I want to call the land owner and see what they say about camping and antelope numbers, but have alos heard horror stories about these hunts and the help you receive. Any chance anyone know that area and can give me an idea of what it is like and trophy potential? I am grateful for any info. Strange not to be able to take a few days off and go on scouting trips!

The Area is real good as far as numbers of animals. One of the best in the State. Lots of BLM land for camping depending on your Ranch assignment. (You don't necessarily have to camp on the assigned ranch) Roswell has good accomdations for lodging, dining etc. Game and Fish is helpful. You should not have any problems filling your tag. Trophy hunting is a little harder because of the limited scouting time etc. Remember the landowner is also managing his private tags, so he preference will be to his paid hunters. I usually contact the ranch contact for camping requirements and general courtesy. They have always been cordial and may have an extra permit they could sell you if you have a buddy that wants to hunt with you. I'vew seen those private tags go from $500 to $3,000. Remember if you have a reassignable tag the game and fish will work with you depending on your first day success. PM me if you want additional help.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-27-10 AT 09:15PM (MST)[p]You will do fine....lots of antelope in that area. You have a couple of days to scout before the hunt. Call the rancher. Tell him who you are and ask if there is anything you can bring him from town. Hopefully he's an ok guy. Just be kind and he will most likely be kind as well. If not, I can give you the Santa Fe radio number and that usually gets their attention real quick and they instantly become friendly. We've only had to call a bluff a couple times in many years of hunting and many antelope clients and no, you shouldn't have to call bluffs.

What is the name of the ranch???

Post exact directions to the ranch. how far from which roads. Which side of roswell? North or South of Roswell? I live in the area and have lots of friends that live all over that area as well. I can tell you what the goats look like over there if you can just get me exact directions to the ranch. Heck, scan your map in and email it to me.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

OK mr smart arse outfitter know it all guy. That would be jfwrc Im insulting here! Where are the 460 inch bull in unit 12! I have a few 420's spotted but those are dinks for that area and we all know I'm above shooting that!

Don't you come from that area? Have anything tied to a tree for me? I'll let you see me in a bra if you help me out dude! And if I get a monster I'll let you touch my man boobies as your tip.

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Well after some research, I located the ranch on google. it is north of Roswell.

A map of the general boundary...

4840antelope_map.jpg

ahhhhh dona ana road! thats way north of roswell! i know the area well. however its out of the human populated area. I've spent many a sleepless nights workin on gas wells in the area. i will c if u cant check out the area a few times for ya but i can already tell u its a decent area for goats.

there should be others on here that have been through the area lately. how bout it guys? what have ya been seein?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-10 AT 10:01PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-10 AT 09:50?PM (MST)

Stinkywhateverthe heck you are....I do ranch appraisal as a living ....grew up in Roswell, live in Albuquerque, graduated from NMSU, been appraising in the state going on 30 years...been on a lot of ranches as comp sales or jobs and I new it was just across the street from Jerry Don Martins old place, south of Darr Angels, and the turnoff to Ft Sumner. I've been on 285 north of Roswell at least 5000 times and all there is to do is count antelope or speed or both. I'll try not to help anymore to make you feel better if that's what you'd like or......can I help you with anything? Yes, you did ask about 12. I've got that 420 tied up on part of the old Hubble Ranch, now owned by Broe. Try the SE1/4, SE1/4, section 6, 5N, 14W, behind the old Grassie Hqts, just below the Ramah Navajo boundary.I think that 1/4 section is state land, but not 100% sure. Oh....did you get the name, its not joe outfitting, its JFW Ranch Consulting, covers several ranch practices including hunting.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom