Antelope unit 38? Why did they cut the tags?

Bucksprig

Put in for 38, which was a very easy tag to draw but this year they cut the tags from 120 to 47? Not only that but the number of applicants went up nearly 5x what it normally is. Did I miss something? Thanks for any insight

I think a lot more people in general applied in Wyoming this year with the later application dates enabling people to know what tags they did or didn't get any many other states. I don't know if the new tag numbers are completely right as they are now for unit 38, but the population from everything I've seen living by it, traveling through it, and hunting it some was not great enough for the tag numbers giving out in previous years. My guess is in a few years the numbers will grow along with the tag quote.

Over the past several years they have been cutting tags in various units to catch up from the drought and nasty winters and try to rebuild the herd. It looks like it was unit 38's turn this year.This is the second year of good conditions (at least so far) so hopefully they'll come back quickly. The applicant numbers are always a fickle thing. There are often significant changes from year to year. Some may have looked at the tag numbers for last year and figured it was an easier draw.

>Antelope area 38 had a quota
>of 1100 type 1 tags
>this year. Same as last
>year.

Yep, and the Regular PP Draw alone for NRs had 141 tags issued. The 47 tags the OP mentioned was in the Regular Random Draw and there was a ton of people that applied under that stat.

Well that's what i get for not looking on the G&F website. I did notice that there appeared to be way more people that applied or took 2nd and 3rd choice options, because the draw odds in some areas looked pretty bleak compared to years past.

Thanks for the info fellas! Was just a little disappointed at not drawing as this was supposed to be my first hunt for antelope. Guess I will have to wait till next year!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom