ANTELOPE UNIT 43

SLIVER

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-27-09 AT 00:52AM (MST)[p]Hi guys, My friends and I drew this unit (nw of Laramie) and plan on hunting a week or so around the opener. I was wondering, as everybody else, what are the chances for a good lope(14" is my magical mark). How is the amount of BLM land? Are there any starting points that you are willing to give. This will be my first lope hunt so any advice would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
Good luck to everyone hunting this year.

}}-SLIVER-->

We will be hunting 47, just North and West of you guys. I think there are a few but you will need to be patient.

SLIVER,
I've hunted this two times but not for the last couple of years. There are quite a few 12-13.5" bucks running around. Much less 14-15" bucks! Land access is a challenge. Make sure you apply for one of the HMA areas unless you have already made plans to hunt elsewhere. I believe there are two on unit 43. We hunted the Laramie River HMA both times and I shot 13.5" antelope each time. My friend shot a 15" antelope in 2006. He was patient, did a lot of walking away from the roads, and found a real nice buck tucked away in a small "basin" away from the view of road hunters. Cover is very sparse around Laramie... practice for some longer shots... my last one there was 425 yards with my .264 Win Mag. Good luck!

Thanks a ton for the reply man. We did apply for the HMA and are waiting for the results. We plan to get off the roads and away from people. I will be good at out to 500 yds and will be shooting a 300wsm, overkill I know, however it's the only long ranger I have. Your reply makes me excited to get out there.
Post some pics of your goats if you have some.

Thanks again man.

}}-SLIVER-->

We also drew this area this year but put in for the Diamond Lake Hma, anyone hunted it archery by chance ?

I have hunted in both the HMA's. I live here in Laramie. The diamond lake area is hunted very hard during both seasons. The Laramie River HMA is a little better. The Harris ranch allows some archery hunters with the chance to harvest that 14-16" mark. After that the rifle season is usually first one to see it gets it. Not as many people on that one as the diamond lake but enough. If you hunt smart and hard you will be fine, antelope are overestimated. Try asking some ranchers around the area they might just let you. Alot of them don't like the antelope. I hunt three different ranches. Good Luck to ya!

>We will be hunting 47, just
>North and West of you
>guys. I think there are
>a few but you will
>need to be patient.

I hunted unit 47 two years ago and saw several 14 plus antelope and ended up with a 15 1/2 incher.In a 4 day hunt,I saw at least a hundred bucks ,they were everywhere.

I shoot a 243 Winchester with 87 grain hollow points hand loads .I sight in at 300 yards and found this to be perfect for most situations.

Sounds good guys. We did end up drawing the Diamond Lake HMA. I hope we can get into them. We will hunt our butts off if that's what it takes. Only about a month now.

Good luck to everyone.

}}-SLIVER-->

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom