Antelope Unit 52

J

jwoods

I've been a regular reader on this site for quite some time, but this will be my first post.

A buddy and I drew antelope tags for Unit 52. This is a Type 2, so we're south of North Spring Creek. We both have limited antelope hunting experience, but plan to bowhunt. We have not hunted this unit before and have limited help on the ground. We've been studying aerials and trying to locate possible placed to hunt to narrow our search once the season starts. I'm just curious what success others have had in the unit and what size of goats we should hope for. We plan to hunt public land only, unless we can find a reasonable trespass fee. Any insight into the unit would be greatly appreciated. I'd be more than happy to reciprocate with information on Midwest whitetails in Nebraska & Iowa.

Thanks in advance.

Try the Saratoga, or Encampment/Riverside Chambers of commerce -they may have some lists of landowners that will allow access for antelope.

The entire unit is very well watered, which limits how well blind-hunting with a bow will work. You may want to look at hunting the public land fringes of hay meadows and/or other Ag lands which hold the goats later into the season. Silver Spur has a walk-in area listed on the WGFD web site, but it only opens after the first 2 weeks of rifle season have gone by.

If you look at Spur Outfitters website, you can see the potential for the area, of course these are mostly deeded land goats.

Thanks SouthernWyo, from my aerial maps it appears there may be enough topography to allow some spot and stalk. I think we'll plan on trying to find travel routes between ag fields and try to ambush or cut them off. I've sat all day in a hot blind over water before and that gets old quick. Any recommendations on where to stay out there? Don't need fancy, but a shower at night would sure be nice. Also, what time in the season do you think would be best. We're thinking Labor Day, but a bit concerned that's when everyone else will be out there. Would waiting until later in September be better? and should we have a decoy?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom