Antelope recommendation

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
My son and I both have 8 points for Antelope. We live in Utah and have shot Antelope in the 78-83" range in Utah. We have hunted deer in Wyoming for years, but most of the good antelope country we have just passed through.

My question is, Is it worth it to keep stockpiling points or is it time to just go hunt? I no this subject has been beaten to death and I have read most of the post over the years.

My goal is to shoot an 80" goat. With all the talk about winter kill, Is it a bad time to be burning points?

If anyone has any recommendations or unit specific information they would like to share on here or private message I would appreciate it. I've had a lot of help over the years and have already received some good advice. I need to go back through my pm's and read them again. I am willing to help out in Utah if you want to exchange info. Thanks

I hunted 57 in 2016 and there were a zillion antelope. I spent a lot of time to turn up the 82 1/8' one I took, I didn't see another one over 80'. so now that the numbers are so far reduced i wouldn't burn too many points if it were me. Wy produces good goats, but it does it by volume not high quality so numbers matter more than some places.

My wife has max points but there's no way she's burning them now.

If I were in your shoes I would continue to build points for a few years. The fawns born last year, in the severely impacted areas, will make some great bucks in 3-4 years imo. Numbers may not be great for that age class but there should be some really big bucks in 2027.

Maybe it's worth it to build a few more points. I don't know how any Antelope survive the winters up there!

Id wait a few years. Antelope will make a come back way faster than the deer will. I'd bet in 3 years it'll be almost like normal again for them
Sounds correct- if no more monster winter losses hit- then all bets are off-especially if droughts hit too ! Ugh 😩
Jerry Gold In Windsor, Colorado 🤬😩

80" plus is a big ask imho. Especially in the areas most impacted by winter kill last year, numbers are down but it would still be a fun hunt. The best trophy areas are in the parts of the state that weren't hit with such severe winter kill but drawing a tag is going to take 9-11+ points. I would look into colorado and new Mexico if you are hell bent on a 80" goat.

I hunted 57 in 2016 and there were a zillion antelope. I spent a lot of time to turn up the 82 1/8' one I took, I didn't see another one over 80'. so now that the numbers are so far reduced i wouldn't burn too many points if it were me. Wy produces good goats, but it does it by volume not high quality so numbers matter more than some places.

My wife has max points but there's no way she's burning them now.
Did you mean 82 2/8 or were you talking gross score?

Even a good area in a great year doesn't guarantee an 80 incher on public land in Wyoming or Montana. Pick a good area and go hunt. Go to New Mexico if you have to have an 80 incher.

Even a good area in a great year doesn't guarantee an 80 incher on public land in Wyoming or Montana. Pick a good area and go hunt. Go to New Mexico if you have to have an 80 incher.
How right you are about New Mexico having bigger & better antelope bucks- but it will cost you lots more $$$$- all private lands if & when you can get a permit - can’t draw a public land tag, Residents get most of those. My experience!
Jerry 😁🍀

Thanks for the info! Just looking to get the most out of my points and possibly top the one Antelope I have on the wall.

The devastation in Southwest WY last year was huge - I would give it a four years if you are able to. 80+ is tough in WY now and it may not improve for while if we another bad winter. In my regular units it was was almost impossible to find a 3+ year old buck last year

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom