antelope unit 61

ridgerunner

Very Active Member
does anyone know why this season is so different than the other antelope units? Is there an advantage to having the start date two weeks earlier, perhaps that is why it is so popular and hard to draw? I'm just researching units now for 2010 and this was one I was considering.

Depends on your perspective. It's convenient if you draw the tag because you can hunt labor day weekend. And, since the rut has not really kicked in like it would be later in the month, you have the chance to view lots of bucks together for comparison. I don't think it is the earlier date that makes the area hard to draw. The quota there is pretty low, which means that the odds to draw will be low. Look at the surrounding areas there and some of the quotas are much higher, thus they are easier to draw. Big bucks can come out of any of those areas. The winter of 07/08 was particularly hard on the area. If you are lucky enough to draw, don't be fooled by dreams of big bucks everywhere. You will have to work to find an 80" goat there about as hard as you would have to work to find one in surrounding areas, the only difference is that there will not be as much hunting pressure. The pressure is the highest in that area opening weekend, just as it is in other areas, no matter what the start date is. The magazines out there that advertise this area as among the best make it seem like if you draw you have a golden ticket to a big buck in your hand, but the truth is that you have your work cut out for you. Draw the tag on a bad year and you will be dissappointed as the antelope there are suseptable to hard winters and horn growth varies from year-to-year. If you want a chance at a good buck with little competition from other hunters, then this area is among several that could offer a good hunt. Areas with higher quotas are often just as good once opening weekend has passed because most guys are done hunting after opening weekend.

60 is the hardest to draw and it is later(or was later last year)
I think the location makes it harder to draw, and not the earlier time slot.

The reason its hard to draw is low tag #'s, and the perception that its one of the best units for a big Antelope in Wyoming. As himtnhunter says there are some dandies out there but they aren't easy. Odds are you could hunt other areas in the region 3 or 4 times before you'd get a 60 or 61 tag. Your odds of getting an 80 incher are better in those 3 or 4 hunts than in one unit 60 or 61 hunt in my opinion. AND you get to hunt 3 or 4 times instead of once !! Good luck. Chip

In 2008 a hunter took an Antelope in a OTC unit farther north and it is a possible TIED to state record Lope in size.

Brian

seems like it may be a little overhyped. Too bad as the dates work a little better for me than the later september/early october dates. Might throw my name in the hat anyway on this and put down another easier to draw unit as a second choice, probably get just as good of an antelope that way.

Not overhyped at all. I shot an 81" on my only day and saw many better during the archery hunt, I do know the area very well though, we have landowner tags and get to hunt it every year. As with all the red desert areas you have to find water and I know every well that is getting pumped and other water locations for that time of year. I think the biggest reason for the early dates is to limit the hunters as elk area 24 starts the 1st of Oct. I'm sure it helps make the quality of hunting a little better with half the amount of hunters driving around.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom