antelope unit 7 and 9 2nd/3rd choice question

rifleman

i have my 1st choice picked out, but was thinking about 7 and 9 as 2nd and 3rd. i was wondering, since deer season seems to open the same day as the antelope season, what would the hunting pressure be like in those units? i know that there is some walk-in areas, but i am concerned that since both seasons open the same day that there might be a lot of hunters the first few days.

After the first couple of days things really get quiet.For antelope I usually hunt the second week of the season and have the whole place to myself thru the week days.

I was all over those units the second week of the season last year and there was hardly anyone else around. It's decent country for antelope, but the public land deer hunting is basically nonexistent IMO. Unless you can find a good ranch to access I sure wouldn't go there deer hunting from what I saw last year.

we'll be after antelope. hoping to draw my first choice and then i won't have to deal with 2nd choice options. i know there is a lot of antelope in the part of the state, but do see many in teh 14-15" range?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-01-11 AT 07:20PM (MST)[p]In any given year if the weather cooperates, I think there is a decent chance at that size goat in just about any unit if you work a little and get off the roads. If you start talking bigger than 15", then you start weeding out a lot of areas that have a few, but not a real good chance without some luck IMO. If you don't draw your first choice and 7 is your second choice, I think you will probably get that tag.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-11 AT 05:09AM (MST)[p]I and my wife plan on hunting antelope in unit 8.Public land. I am still considering a deer tag.
When I drove thru the area the last time I saw a fair amount of antelope and most of the bucks were respectable. I was not hunting just a vacation.
I will be waiting for leftover tags to come out.Always leftovers somewhere in that area.

Myself and 2 others hunted A7 last year and did well on private land. There were a heck of alot of Public Land WIA hunters all over the place. I watched for 2 days an area (public) adjacent to our private land and if a truck left the side of the road within 30minutes another one pulled up and hunters jumped out. This was all in the 1st two days of hunting. Talked to a guy that said he had not seen a Antelope in Public/WIA's for 2 days. I would strongly recommend that if Public/WIA hunting in A7 to wait until the second week. Just IMHO. Hey TopGun is that you that also post on NAH.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-11 AT 02:22PM (MST)[p]If you are talking about the NAHC website,yes,until I got into it with a couple of jerks a couple months ago that were slandering my name over a Wyoming hunt I did last October and Webby gave us a time out,LOL!!! For any others out there, I will offer a little advice---don't join and waste money on that ripoff outfit!!! As I mentioned before on hunting 7, I agree to do it the second week and that's the advice I've given a few people who are putting in for tags. I hardly saw anyone out there the second week and the goats were back onto the public lands in the unit, especially if you got off the roads a mile or so. Also, as I mentioned above, I was there deer hunting for the first and last time in that region because the public land is zilch for deer for the most part, at least while I was there.

The reason I asked is because my hunting partner is BuckeyeBill and he post on that site. Infact I need to give you a big THANK YOU!!! because last year was our 1st time to Wyoming and we used alot of the Info you gave us and all info was extremely helpful so again Thank you very much.

Yep, I sent Bill some info and I'm glad to hear it helped you newbies to Wyoming on your trip out there. What did you guys end up for as far as animals?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom