Antelope with 15 points

seeleymt

Looking for suggestions on using my antelope points have 15 as a non resident? Don't see much use to keep saving them looking for some help as to the best unit to go with. Is private worth a trespass fee? Any help will be APPRECIATED>
Thanks Brian

I agree with unit 3. As for public or private, there are many ranches with good antelope hunting available for a trespass fee if you want to go that route, but you don't need to. For example, there is a large amount of public land just south of Baggs, Wy. that is loaded with goats.

>I agree with unit 3. As
>for public or private, there
>are many ranches with good
>antelope hunting available for a
>trespass fee if you want
>to go that route, but
>you don't need to. For
>example, there is a large
>amount of public land just
>south of Baggs, Wy. that
>is loaded with goats.

That's the way I'am thinking go going, not sure how much public?
Thanks Brian

I'm sitting at 14 NR as well , looking at 3 and as always MM guys are helpful. Heard a few guys speak of 161. Any input on 161?

Much less ground to hunt in 161 vs 3. Fewer hunters but fewer bucks. If u look at it on a map only about 1/2 the unit holds antelope and some of that is private. I'd stick with 3.

>>I agree with unit 3. As
>>for public or private, there
>>are many ranches with good
>>antelope hunting available for a
>>trespass fee if you want
>>to go that route, but
>>you don't need to. For
>>example, there is a large
>>amount of public land just
>>south of Baggs, Wy. that
>>is loaded with goats.
>
>That's the way I'am thinking go
>going, not sure how much
>public?
> Thanks Brian

Look on a map that shows STL and BLM. It's a big chunk, mostly in unit 3, but extending across the highway into 4.

>>I agree with unit 3. As
>>for public or private, there
>>are many ranches with good
>>antelope hunting available for a
>>trespass fee if you want
>>to go that route, but
>>you don't need to. For
>>example, there is a large
>>amount of public land just
>>south of Baggs, Wy. that
>>is loaded with goats.
>
>That's the way I'am thinking go
>going, not sure how much
>public?
> Thanks Brian

Don't neglect the checker boarded areas in the southern part of the unit. A good chipped gps that differentiates public/private will b vital.

I also have 15 pts not in a big hurry to use them,but I have been in 3 and there is plenty of room to hunt,but there is 230 tags and the success is not that high. Looking at 80,81 success is mainly 100% with 33 tag between them,I could not tell you if there is a small amount of habitat or allot of private.I prefer less tags my self. 67 is another unit with only 20 tags and mainly 100% success.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-15 AT 02:58PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-15 AT 02:53?PM (MST)

Alot of units have high success rates on antelope. Would u wait 13-18yrs to shoot a 13" goat? I'm not familiar with those units but I'm sure somebody here is.

Totally agree that waiting so many years for a 13 incher seems foolish, but truth is that while applying in Colo for deer/elk the $3 ppt for lopes was just a given. That being said I would love to chase any goats around in a time frame that is available around my other priority hunts. Man I Love being retired. Will look more closely at the southern units , closer to home anyway. Really appreciate the MM team as many good folks have responded to questions with valuable input. I'm here to help those that need NM input.

I also have 15 NR points. Sounds like we're all going to be competing for the same hunts!

FWIW, from what I hear, pronghorn trophy quality and numbers in the SLV are down, and have been for a number of years, although the success rates are still high. There's plenty of public habitat on the west side of the valley (68/79/80/81), not as much on the east (82). There's also a lot of agricultural land on the west side that hold animals. I don't know what the landowner access is like, but I'll bet it won't come cheap.

I wont be applying with my 15 ,have a moose hunt last 2 weeks of sept. I am happy to see some info coming out that I would be looking for sooner or later and have not taken time to search out possibly better quality units. my first choice has always been 3, but with 230 tag it could change hunting to chasing quickly. Good luck with you draws.

Unit 3 took 13 resident points last year. I'm at 11 and won't draw it this year. Archery or muzzleloader yes, rifle, no.

As I resident I can't for the life of me understand why people build so many points for antelope in this state when you can go north of the border (wyoming) and kill a most likely bigger goat in a place that takes a 3 years or less to draw.... At 15 NR points I would be looking into units 3/301, 11/211, 4 and unit 6. Or wait your turn and go to unit 201. Southern Colorado however has been producing some good 'lopes. But you better be willing to pay a trespass fee.

Coloradoboy

Colorado, Building pts for NR was in the past , cheap if you were able to front several hundred bucks for a couple of months so that's why NR folks like myself who were already applying for deer/ elk did it. Love to hunt and just planning for the future. I'm sitting at 14 now and live in NMM so Southern Colo makes sense for me to be able to scout more often. Any words of wisdom on how much a trespass fee might be for one of the better southern units ( ie 80/81) Is $1000-1500 in the ball park?

What to do with my 18 points? Just keep building them as long as I can keep drawing muzzy tags ;)

Wolf Springs RFW is where I'm leaning though

I'm in the same boat (I live in ABQ); plus, I took some nice antelope out of the SLV when I lived up there, and I know the area. So applying for an antelope tag in CO makes perfect sense.

Hey Prime, were neighbors as I'm an East Mtn guy ( Sandia Park) any chance I could pick your brain on SLV via phone or PM? Just retired and ready to burn my Colo Pts.

>As I resident I can't for
>the life of me understand
>why people build so many
>points for antelope in this
>state when you can go
>north of the border (wyoming)
>and kill a most likely
>bigger goat in a place
>that takes a 3 years
>or less to draw.... At
>15 NR points I would
>be looking into units 3/301,
>11/211, 4 and unit 6.
>Or wait your turn and
>go to unit 201. Southern
>Colorado however has been producing
>some good 'lopes. But you
>better be willing to pay
>a trespass fee.
>
>
>Coloradoboy

I do both...

There's a lot of good public in 80/81...I wouldn't be too worried about paying trespass.

Not really a place for GIANT goats, but there are a few pretty good ones around.

198520140809_124944.jpg

I killed this dude last year in NM, about a mile south of the border...had seen him in CO a couple times over the summer.

Anyway, good luck and feel free to get in touch if you want.

Cheers

Adam

I WANT ONE of those .....Beautiful buck GW. I have applied in NM for 15+ yrs and can't draw a tag. Any chance I could talk you out of a starting point in 80/81 via PM

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom