Antelope Wyoming DIY or outfitter

map1

Considering a 2012 Wyoming rifle antelope hunt for myself and 16 year old. I have 3 options-
DIY public
DIY trespass fee
Outfitter
I 100% prefer DIY but I don't want to pull the kid out of school for more than 3 days plus a weekend so hunt would total 3 days. Not sure if we could get it done on public in that short time frame. I have 0 PP's.
Trespass hunt can also be a crap shoot as you never know how hard a ranch has been hunted.
Outfitter is last choice but highest chance of success. Kid would be a non-hunter but he would be good with that.
We could wait a few years until he graduates but who knows how college schedule will be so I don't want to wait.
Any recomendations on outfitters if I choose that route? I know most are against this type of hunt but when you live in the Eastern US with limited time this can be the only optiopn. Any info would be appreciated.

3 hunting days is plenty to harvest a good goat....DIY, public ground....draw a unit and do a little research and then ask for a little guidence on this site and you will be set up...

I am definitely not against an outfitted hunt. It is a great way to go for someone like you especially living as far away as you do. I and my family have hunted many times with Table Mountain Outfitters. Scott and Angie are great people and they have some great ranches for antelope hunting. They are also very reasonably priced. Their web site is tablemountainoutfitters.com. Good luck !!!!!

3 Days of goat hunting on your own in WY in an area that has alot of BLM would be very easy and if your not picky you will kill a goat on day one. There are outfitters all over the state you could go with. I know a guy that went with a outfit out of Cheyenne. The name was Timberline Outfitters. He said they were good folks and they were on a ton of goats. Good luck.

Wyoming DIY or outfitter

DIY on private land has always worked great for me and my son. Just get the landowner list from Casper or Sheridan G&F, and start making calls. You can find some great hunting pretty easily, and for reasonalbe cost. You can easily have your son hunting as well. My son shot his first antelope at age twelve on private land, with bow and arrow, in about 3 hours total hunting time. It was a nice buck that scored 72", not bad for a 12 year olds first antelope, and with a bow. The next year, he shot a 125" whitetail with his bow on same ranch.

You can do it, it is easy.

I'd skip Table Mountain Outfitters. I've seen a number of shows where they're doing antelope hunts and most of what they shoot are dinks. You could do a DIY hunt with a little research and shoot better goats than they take...

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-11 AT 07:08AM (MST)[p]+1 Triple_BB!!! They may be very nice people, but I've not been impressed with any of the goats or deer they have taken on their show or on Fred Eichler's shows either. As to the comment about being reasonably priced, their current prices are $1995 for a 3 day hunt based in town (extra expenses for motel, etc.) and $2,350 for their 3 day bunkhouse hunt. I would do a DIY hunt on either public land up between Casper and Gillette or a DIY with an access fee for a reasonable amount of money on a private ranch. Either of those should be fine for what the OP wants. There are a ton of goats right now along the I-25 corridor and along highway 59 out in that area as I was up and down through there twice going and coming from hunts in AZ and NM in September and early November.

Topgun and BB. I think you are both a little off base with your comments. To judge an outfit by some TV shows is not 100% accurate. I have hunted many times with Table Mountain. I was on an antelope hunt with pred from this web site and I do believe it was that hunt that got her hooked on antelope hunting. If a person can shoot and they listen to their guide I don't know how you wouldn't kill a 70 plus inch antelope with them. My wife hunted antelope with them one year and Dave Watsons show back then BUshnells secrets of the hunt filmed her. She killed a great antelope but I learned ALOT by seeing all the problems that go with filming hunts. There are many I can assure you. I sure respect all opinions here but I don't agree with your assessments about Table Mountain. Maybe pred will chime in but I SURE stand by my recommendations for Table Mountain. And if I wasn't so computer stupid I would post some pics of some of the deer I have taken with them. No world beaters but they sure are great bucks and they better most I see taken froom other outfits in Wyoming.

I have hunted antelope DIY in Wyoming probably a dozen times. On almost all of those hunts I killed my buck the first day, even when being relatively picky. So killing a buck is not so much the issue.
Your biggest obstacle will be drawing a tag with no points. The units that are easy to draw are typically made up of mostly private land and they hold fewer animals making DIY a little more difficult. If your son is at all interested in hunting, starting with a Wyoming antelope is a great first step. I took my son on a left over tag when he was 12 and we had a blast. All DIY.
Good luck

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-11 AT 09:45AM (MST)[p]notags2---That could be very true, but I guarantee I could go on 5 or 6 DIY goat hunts out in Wyoming and kill the same size bucks in three days that they are taking for that kind of money and a few extra days spent could probably come close to an 80" one or better!!! It just takes a little more time to get on one of the better ones, but many units have 80" goats if you look and don't pull the trigger on a 13" one the first couple days. That's why I suggest a DIY on antelope for a first timer where I would probably suggest an outfitter for the first timer if they are talking elk or maybe even deer. I certainly think that TMO is a very good, reputable operation and the family seems like a great bunch of people that would be fun to be with if I wanted to spend $2500 on an antelope! This one was killed late in the season on the 4th morning on my buck hunt in 2009 on BLM land and I shot him for a good wall mount, which he made, to get on with my mulie hunt. He was 14 1/2" (net 76") and I know I could have done better if I had taken more time than that. Since then I've been shooting does for meat, but this year I may buy another buck license. Even if I do and shoot a better one, he won't be mounted because I dont have any more wall space.

3224ndwyoming_2009_026.jpg

2224lm_015.jpg

I agree with you 100% there topgun. My wife killed here best antelope in 2010 on a public land DIY hunt. However we had max points and we live in Utah and we were able to spend alot of time. For someone who has no points , lives back East and has only three days I think a guided hunt might be his best bet. Also if he wants a great expierence with his kid the guided option is nice. One of the BIGGEST things on a guided hunt on private land is no other hunters to compete with. That is a very nice plus. I am a very average guy and I can only go on guided hunts once in a blue moon. Heck takes me years of saving for one hunt. But if money was no object I would hunt with Table Mountain every year just for the great time it is. Once I was glassing from a spot and I could see antelope , mule deer , whitetail deer and elk from that one spot. It was AWESOME. But I will never be rich so I will just have to dream most years. But yes the DIY is what I love and do most.

I can't argue with your last post, other than maybe paying a trespass fee to lessen the hunting pressure that you might find on public land the first few days of a season, rather than paying for a guided hunt and it's inherent costs. Unless I plan on hunting an entire season, I don't go until after the opening week crowd goes home because I don't like the color orange, LOL! The OP didn't say if he was going to fly, but it sounds like it if he's way back east and only plans a 3 day hunt tied into a weekend. Personally, I would take the kid out of school the two extra days, since it shouldn't be that bad if he's a good student, and drive out and back on the weekend with a five day hunt during the weekdays. He could always study some during the driving part of the trip. Part of the fun I have on my hunts is the sightseeing during the entire trip. Also, the way plane fares are going up so high and with all the baggage restrictiona, extra costs for this and that, and worrying about my guns, I will never fly!

I can see you and I agree on alot of things. I let my 11 year old daughter miss a week of school this September to hang with me while I was bowhunting deer in Colorado. The time I get to spend in the hills with my daughter are without a doubt the best times of my life. And you are SO RIGHT about flying and hunting. I think it is a huge pain in the a@#!!!!!

I'll stick by my comments about Table Mountain. If you're willing to settle for something 70 or better, hunting with those guys is a waste of money. You can do the same in almost any area in this state if you'll put in some time and research...

Sorry BB but I don't think you could do what you are saying if you lived back East like the poster said he does. And do you have any knowledge of Table Mountain or any other outfitters in Wyoming other than watching TV?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-11 AT 05:40PM (MST)[p]I'm with BB on this one. Do some phone and internet research which you can do from anywhere (biologists, wardens, taxidermists, chambers of commerce, etc.. ). You'll find a place where you can have a great hunt with your son and kill a 70 inch antelope in one day. Especially if you're willing to pay a few hundred bucks for a tresspass fee. GOOD LUCK. Chip

Do your research and apply for a tag in any decent unit (Eastman's does a good job of rating units and pick any unit that doesn't have access issues and that are drawable with your points)and then email me when you draw and I will provide the info you need to have a very sucessful hunt. If you can't draw with the # of points you have and are set on hunting this year, contact Crandall Creek Outfitters and look into buying a leftover tag in the second draw. They have access to great ranches and even without points you can hunt this year because of the availability of licenses that are leftover in their unit (almost all private land in that unit).
WyMo

Everyone thanks for the info. I already called Sheridan and Casper F&G office for trespass fee ranches. I also will check walk-in areas and public. Thanks again!!!!

I just got my copy of the Fall 2011 edition of "Wyoming Outdoors" magazine that is published by the WY Outfitters & Guides Assoc. and was looking through their awards section. I see that TMO won 3rd place in the Archery Division for a 76" goat that Dave Watson shot. That tells me that BB and I were correct since it had to be the best one they took last year because 3rd place in the Rifle Division scored 5/8" less than that. They might be good people and run a good outfit, but I would never pay that kind of money if they aren't taking goats any bigger than the one I shot on a public DIY hunt. So much for the "hard to get a good one on film" argument.

Again topgun you are not 100 % correct. That is the largest they were able to get officially scored. They had several hunters that did not get their animals scored. And yes it is difficult to get the kills on film. If you don't think so , like I once did give it a try sometime. Its not easy.

TOPGUN,

What do we have to do to get our bucks listed in that magazine? We killed 3 in 2010 over 86 and 3 this year over 86.

map1,

DIY. If you aren't looking for a big buck than killing one in 3 days should be pretty easy, even without scouting or knowing the area. Just do your research and you should be OK.

www.PronghornGuideService.com

I know it's more difficult to get an animal when filming or with more people along on a hunt. That's a no brainer! If they are killing anything bigger than that 76" one Watson shot and want to do good advertising for the bucks they're shooting, I would think they would be scorers or have somebody score the others you say they took. Just my opinion and I have absolutely nothing against them, but I'll stay with my free DIY hunts and guarantee I'd kill as good or better than they take every year for what they charge.

Eli---You have to be a member of the Wy Outfitter & Guides Assoc. and the animals must be taken in Wyoming.
Their website is: www.wyoga.org
phone: 307-265-2376
email: [email protected]
Laurie Marcovitz is the Administrator for them

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-11 AT 05:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-11 AT 05:47?PM (MST)

>Eli---You have to be a member
>of the Wy Outfitter &
>Guides Assoc. and the animals
>must be taken in Wyoming.

They were taken in Wyoming.

Thanks for the info.

www.PronghornGuideService.com

DIY. Period.

In WY pronghorn are very prolific. You probably already know that they are easy to spot...but not necessarily easy to judge. If you arent "head hunting" and just want to have a fun time, there is no need to pay an outfitter to hold your hand while you shoot a 12-13 incher. Rather than contributing to an outfitter's bank account, spend you hard earned $$$ on some good optics, another gun (always a good thing!) or heck, you could be really responsible and put it toward you son's college education!

My first out-of state hunt was to WY for pronghorn when I was in my early 20's. I'll never forget it. WE HAD AN ABSOLUTE BLAST! Since then I have been out to WY at least 7 or 8 more times over the years hunting pronghorn and have always either hunted ranches with low (under $200) trespass fees or on public land. I hunted a ranch this past season ($150 trespass fee for bucks...no charge for shooting does)in area 48 where our group took a total of 29 pronghorn! Fathers, sons, and grandfathers made up our group and everyone was successful filling all their tags. Here's a couple of examples of the bucks taken...not monsters, but we were happy!

4576dave_wy_lope_full_res.jpg

6728hunter_wy_lope_full_res.jpg

51kids_wy_pronghorn.jpg

Whatever you choose, enjoy the quality time out west with your son. I have no doubt that you both will have an AMAZING time.

-HS

Some 16 years ago I took my two sons out to Wyoming
DYI antelope hunting when they were teenagers.hunted unit 106 at that time.We still talk about that hunt today.Great memories !
Good luck and have a great time.

diy! spend the guide money on maps, a gps with land owner software, some optics maybe some cheap camping gear and a camera. you can't mess this up. you are not looking for monsters or you would not be asking these ?????. if you can't pull this off it is time to sell the hunting gear and take up a new hobby. now if you are looking for nothing but a booner look at Eli's website those guys get it done!

And buy Eli's video of Antelope Hunting....great video and lots of good info to hunt them....I bought one about three years ago.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

You can easily hunt nearly any public land unit in Wyoming without much pressure from other hunters. All you have to do is go the 2nd week. My experience has been that nearly all hunters are there for opening day, and most are done by the 3rd day. I didn't like that crowd, so we just went late and very few hunters were even out at all.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom