Antler Gathering Certificate if you are under 12 yrs?

heartshot

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-15 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]So I just took the 2015 online course for my new antler gathering certificate. The guidebook says you need the certificate on your person to gather sheds from Feb 1st to Apr 15th.

Question: I am wondering if there is an exemption for young ones. Do my 5 and 11 year old need to have one?

Even if I read the questions to my 5 year old, the terminology would be over her head. In a sense, I would have to cheat and answer for her in order to get her a certificate.

If they are too young to be required to have a fishing licence, are they too young to be required to have this antler gathering certificate?

Call the DWR, and not the SLC main office call a field office the clowns in SLC wouldn't know what a shed looked like if someone rammed it up their caboose.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

This is an article from the daily hearld last year. It says that kids to 17 are covered under the parents gathering certificate. I remember reading it also in a DWR document but cant find the reference.

SPRINGVILLE-- Anyone wishing to gather shed antlers in Utah must complete an online course first at wildlife.utah.gov/shedantler. Late winter and early spring is the worst time of the year for elk, moose and especially deer in Utah.

In the winter, deep snow makes it hard for deer to move and find food. And cold temperatures sap the deers' strength. By the time winter ends, deer are usually the weakest they'll be all year. Winter is also the time of year when male deer, elk and moose shed their antlers. The animals will be without antlers until spring, when they'll start to grow a new set.

Gathering antlers that drop off of deer, elk and moose is a popular activity across the country, including here in Utah. The downside to shed-antler gathering is that it happens during the worst time of the year for the animals. And it takes place in the habitat the animals rely on in the winter.

"By the time winter ends, the animals are stressed," said Mike Fowlks, deputy director of the Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR). "Also, the habitat is wet and it's easily damaged. Once the habitat is damaged, it can take years for it to recover."

Fortunately, Fowlks said people can have fun gathering shed antlers without stressing the animals and damaging their habitat. "You can access a free course on our website that will show you how," he said.

Fowlks said people must complete DWRs Antler Gathering Ethics course if they want to gather shed antlers in Utah between Feb. 1 and April 15. The free course is available at www.wildlife.utah.gov/shedantler.

After finishing the course, make sure to print the certificate of completion before heading outdoors to gather antlers. "And make sure you carry your certificate with you, By law, you must have your certificate with you while you're gathering shed antlers," Fowlks said.

If people have children who are 17 years of age or younger and they've completed the course, their children don't need to complete it, the adult's certificate will cover their kids too.

Fowlks said if someone completes the course, they can gather antlers across Utah. "Please remember, though, many of the state's wildlife management areas are closed in the winter and spring to protect wildlife," he said. If people wait until April 15 or later to gather antlers, they don't need to complete the course.

For more information, call the nearest DWR office or the Salt Lake City office at 801-538-4700.

So I've been looking into where I read the official DWR rule and still haven't got a difinitive answer.

This link from the DWR website below says "If you have young children, and you've completed the course, your children don't need to complete it ? your certificate will cover your kids too."

It does not define young children.

I called the DWR and they didn't know an age requirement but said to be safe, complete the course if you are of age to hunt (12 years old and older). Under 12 should be covered under the parents certificate.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/1345-must-complete-course-before-gathering-shed-antlers.html

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom