Antler growth this year Utah

huntin50

Very Active Member
I talked with an elk rancher a few days ago. He said the cooler weather in June contributed to better antler growth. He gets his elk from Alaska and Canada. Genetics, feed, age, and cooler weather, contribute to optimal antler growth. Ranch bulls start shedding mid July. I thought that was a little early as well.
I haven't checked any cameras yet, but what are you guys seeing so far for growth?

Moisture can't beat the growth hormones those ranchers give to their elk.

The elk farm in N. Ogden looks like nothing but 400+" bulls already... ??

To me it seems like a lot of bulls are a little behind to me in North East Utah. Deer seem to be behind as well.

Hopefully it’s good, i have only been up a couple times, sure is green which makes me think they will finish good. Man the mosquitoes are something else this year!

From the cams last week, in Co there were two stand out bulls that will be over 330 this year. Rest of the bulls seemed a little farther behind, couple deer that we got seemed way behind for mid June photos…

Not very clear- pre-sunup. But I thought pretty good growth by last week of June (NV Area 231 bulls).

IMG_3143.JPG

Everything I am seeing in South-Central Utah has been growing fast. Seems like most bulls are just about finished growing with a few that appear to be done; however, they did not experience the same winter stress that we had up here in the North.
Deer on the other hand does seem to be slower.

Northern Utah Cache.
Checked three cameras. Antler growth delayed and a lot worse than last year. Seen some fawns, even twins, and calves with cows, which are great to see. Missing some big bulls. I think some winter killed. Over all fewer animals than last year. I think central and southern Utah looks good in most areas.

Yes but only within a limited time window. Seeing some slower growth up north as well. Some just getting to their thirds as of last week.

47E5D7A4-CD1C-4F67-A231-0E982CA96185.jpeg

I'd say average or slightly above average antler growth. The deer numbers are down 20-30% on the unit that I hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom