Antler preservation

fullcurl74

Maybe this is a topic for the shed forum, but I've got an elk head/skull that I'm thinking about hanging on my barn. Problem is, the front of my barn catches all the afternoon sun, snow, wind, etc.

I've had the head for a few years, and the only reason I haven't hung it up sooner is that I don't want it to rot away to nothing in a few years.

Does anyone know the best way to preserve it or weatherproof the antlers so it won't disintegrate to chalk?

Some sort of weatherseal?

Maybe there are some woodworkers on here. My understanding is that varnish is fairly UV resistant. A satin coat may help. I don't know about polyurethane. Maybe someone in the know will chime in.

Try some marine varnish,its the same stuff they put on old wooden boats. It's pretty durable but, it may need to be redone again sometime in the future.

Thanks for the info. That'll give me a couple options to try. Surely there are some people on here that have experience with it. Antler art guys?

If it's a set you care about I wouldn't put it out in the sun, varnish or no varnish. But, if you have to have it in that spot, and you want it to last a while, I'd day a varnish would work. You might also try a clear coat spray to seal it up. You'd probably have to do this once a year or so. I'd lean toward the spray, easier to apply, not as thick or noticeable. You can get a satin finish so it isn't too shiny.

LAST EDITED ON May-06-10 AT 02:08PM (MST)[p]Do you think the varnish would save any natural brown antler color, or just keep them from weather checking? I'm thinking they'll still probably turn white, but maybe the varnish will keep them smooth and prevent the chalking.

I would say it will preserve the brown color of the antlers.Keep in mind once it's on there, its on there. They do use it as a top coat over stained wood with little or no change in color. You wil however need to recoat them every couple of years depending on the weather where you are. Like someone else said how much do you care about them and do they have to go there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom