Antler removale

400bull

Very Active Member
My wife and I are in the process of remodeling our kitchen. In the process of remodeling the kitchen we want to move "Buba" (my 2000 LE Archery bull elk)downstairs into the den. One major problem, he does not fit down the stairs. I have heard people say that you can have the antlers cut and tapped with dowels so that they can be removed for transportation. Does anyone know if this can be done on an already finished mount and if so any recommendations who could do it for me?

400bull

Does your wife have a sister?

Any woman that will let you keep an elk mount in the kitchen is a keeper, in my opinion.

"If God did not intend for man to hunt animals, he would have made broccoli more fun to shoot"

I would not "ruin" my elk. If you do what you are asking, there is no guarantee that the angles and width will end up the same as the original. You might not like the look of the end result. I would be putting it in the garage during the remodel and parking my vehicle in the driveway. Or perhaps I would find a friend?s house to temporarily store it at.

I've got a Stihl 066 Magnum that should take care of any wood removal needed to move the head.
DO NOT screw it up by breaking the Skull Plate.

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Any capable taxidermist can take care of your problem, it's not that hard. A few pictures and measurements and the antler can be set perfectly. If he is a record book trophy, get it officially measured before the surgery!

>Um I'm guessing he has never
>ventured down stairs.

Ding, Ding, Ding...... The kitchen is on the main floor. No need to go up or down stairs to get where he is currently at.

We initially put him in the kitchen because we were worried about the kids playing with him if we put him any weher else. Now that the kids are older hopefully we will not need to worry about that any more.

Sorry nickman all my sister-in-laws are already claimed. My wife has put up with buba in the kitchen for nearly 12 years. I think I can now move him downstairs with the rest of our mounts.

I've contacted my local taxidermist and he thinks that he should be able to pin the antlers for a reasonable price. I need to run the mount over before he can say for sure.

400bull

Have we seen pics of your bull..?? It's a pedastal mount you have off to one side in your kitchen maybe..?? I remember some pics of a great bull on a pedastal mount in a kitchen...

Anyway- you just have to weigh the risk with the reward... I know good taxis can do exactly what you are asking. You might want to contact Curtis Wilson of Monarch Taxidermy in SLC. He ran the "Guess the Score" Contest all summer long you might remember...?? He could fill you in on what you need to do...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Maybe you could get away with only pinning one side. Half the price if it will still fit down the stairs.

BR,

Yes I have posted pictures of my bull on MM. Keep in mind that was nearly 12 years ago. The bull on the pedestal mount is not mine.

HS,

I should only need to pin one side. Without pinning one antler he is about 3 inches to wide to fit down the stairs. Being able to remove just one antler I think that I could get him through just about any hall or stair way.

40bull

400bull

Any decent Taxidermist would have no problem placing a pin in one of the antlers, just make sure they take plenty of measurements
before they even start, this is a very simple process, only other issue would be not to cut the hair around the burrs at the bottom when cutting Antler off.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom