Antler staining?

ThunderImpulse4

I was giving a dead head my buddy found. he tried staining them cause they were more white than brown. well cant say they are brown more of a purple.

anyone know a good choice of stain to recolor them? good 4 point. maybe 140"

Don't pass on the first day if you would shoot it the last day

Yikes. Don't know there's much you can do with em if they've been stained. I'm assuming he used wood stain. Post up a pick so we can see the damage.

LAST EDITED ON May-04-10 AT 11:19PM (MST)[p] Been there - done that. Yeah that purplish/reddish hue comes out sometimes. I am moments away from putting a quick brown finish on top of a couple that came out just a little too reddish/brown - not much - just a touch.
Oh, to fix - just depends on how dark you dare make them. Or, try painting them - I might just be kidding there. 140'ish. Paint it black. When he finds another one, there are plenty out in the woods, help him before the purple sets in.

Bleach it back to white and start over. If the antlers are old and cracked, there is nothing to do to make them look natural. If they lose thier "Grain" is simply won't look natural.

A recipe someone told me on here last year worked awesome for some of mine. Use corn meal to fill the cracks, and sand it. Then apply boiling linseed oil, let it dry and rub peet moss all over it depending on how dark you want it, or beat up a sapling. Then I seal it with a clear satin coat.
If you want to stick with stain and the antler looks good and just needs a little more brown to it, I really like Minwax's Jacobean stain.
Good luck and post some pics.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

the antlers are not cracked. i will try to post a picture. i scored them last night and they score 152" typical.

I like Minwax Gel Stain Aged Oak (602). It's a good natural color. Not to dark or to light.

I am certainly no expert. I have screwed up alot of good stuff. But...try rubbing them down with steel wool and spray painting them white again. Then stain them with what ever method you choose. I would try the antler magic stuff that wildantlerman puts out. I haven't tried it on spray painted stuff, but I'll bet it would work. Right? They call it W.A.M.
I'm hoping for a good resposne from him 'cause I have one I recently fixed up, and I want to try the product. And I spray painted them.

2010005-1.jpg

2010004.jpg

my carpet is brown and tan

+1 on the WAM

I tried it this year on an older shed that was pure white and cracked pretty bad.

Worked great, was easy to do and there is plenty of materials left to do many more antlers.

I could have spent more time on mine with the details (white tips, etc.)

Don't know how well it will work on a painted set, but it's worth a try.

Here are a couple of before and after pics:

6760image_060.jpg

2398image_061.jpg

1484image_066.jpg

3301image_067.jpg

Looks good, it turned out nice. As far as WAM over a painted antler? It might work I dont know for sure. It wouldnt hurt to try for sure though. Maybe I will find a older horn and paint it up and give it a try.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom