Antlerless elk tag help

BigSimps

So my dad has a Antlerless elk tag, we have been out quite a few times, and hiked all over with no luck. The unit is the "Heber east". We know that a-lot of the area is private, so it makes it hard to move around, and stay on public land. If there is any one that knows this area at all, or knows were the elk are. It would be very helpful. My dad ready wants to get some elk meat. We just don't know this area, very well. It was he second choice, so it really was not were he was looking forward to hunting.

P.S PM me if you would rather do so.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-14 AT 05:13PM (MST)[p]where on the top of daniels? i have tried hunting from the bottom of daniels all the way up. dry canyon to center, willow to row (something) and have glassed the top of daniels on the flats. on the top i couldn't even find old tracks where they had been moving. would you hunt just below the summit above row or on the other side between the summit and the border across from strawberry? Maybe hike in at FR049?

i have seen some cows but they were on three c and that was only 4 (not legal for my tag). i have seen about 50 bulls in 3 days of hunting. (majestic to look at but also very frustrating). i would think that with migration to winter range alone i would at least run into some small herds in between winter and summer range.

I have flown through that area quite a bit from Vernal to Provo and salt lake transporting patients. I have honestly not seen very many elk at all. Prior years we have seen the elk. This winter I am not sure where the elk are wintering.

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-14
>AT 05:13?PM (MST)

>
>where on the top of daniels?
> i have tried hunting
>from the bottom of daniels
>all the way up.
>dry canyon to center, willow
>to row (something) and have
>glassed the top of daniels
>on the flats. on
>the top i couldn't even
>find old tracks where they
>had been moving. would
>you hunt just below the
>summit above row or on
>the other side between the
>summit and the border across
>from strawberry? Maybe hike
>in at FR049?
>
>i have seen some cows but
>they were on three c
>and that was only 4
>(not legal for my tag).
> i have seen about
>50 bulls in 3 days
>of hunting. (majestic to
>look at but also very
>frustrating). i would think
>that with migration to winter
>range alone i would at
>least run into some small
>herds in between winter and
>summer range.

Well since you have look in all the areas I have seen the elk this year I would not have any other suggestions. Other then try closer to strawberry towards the highway/eastern side of the unit. I have seen a few in there, and it is public but thats the only other place I could think of.

I hate to break it to ya but the majority of the elk are wintering in people's freezers. The elk for the most part are all but gone in the area. Sorry!! I hope DWR pulls their heads out soon.

well thanks guys, sorry it took so long to respond. Me and my dad have spent so many hours in mostly every canyon up Daniels, and still no luck. I do know that in Nov. during the spike hunt up by currant creek it was a elk salter I walked on to so many elk guts. I'm sure that most of them were cows, I didn't see any spikes during the hunt also. It's getting to the point that the cow hunts are harder then the spike hunts. It's just like what "shootem" said they are all in people freezers.

Yup. We started out doing the cow elk hunt to pad the freezer meat a bit more, or as back up meat hunt. Was real easy four years ago, or so. This year...hardest spot we've ever pulled an elk out of, and we pulled two out of it. Not worth it. Thinking I'm done with that hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom