Antlerrick moosed or mooseless?

Well?

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-19 AT 12:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-14-19 AT 12:46?PM (MST)

MOOSELESS! That unit is a hell hole and with all the yuppies and idiots running around up there, it is near impossible to hunt. I had 8 different women, two of them together, come hiking into setups we had. I don't know how they even got to where they could come down into us as there are no roads or trails above where we were hunting. Had on cowboy ride up on us while we had 2 small bulls playing nasty with each other, and we had a bull grunting above us and heading our way we think. The small bulls looked back and took off the other way and then all of a sudden there is a horse and rider coming up behind us thru the flat...He yelled over to me "sorry, I didn't know you were up here". Well he had to ride right past my side by side parked below on the trail. This last weekend we were riding up to the top of Norway Flats, and come across a cow moose standing along the road just eating. We were about 50 yds from her and turned off the machine, and she didn't even act like she seen us. She kept looking to our left into some thick trees and then going back to eating. About 10 minutes later she glanced back to were the road went into the trees on our right, and took off and ran within 15 feet of where we were sitting. We figured if we just sat there the bull would follow. We had heard a few sticks break and rustling where she was looking for figured we had the bull dead to rights. Then my SIN said he could hear walking on the road. Out comes a Chinese lady walking down the damn road. She sees us and lets out a startled yell. Well so much for what was in the trees as it left. She couldn't speak hardly any English as I asked her what the hell she was doing way back up there away from the highway. She just kept saying "alone, alone" and then took off down the road....
In my 16 1/2 days of hunting, I had 8 different older women come walking right into where we were hunting...
With the prescribed burn that shut down any roads or trails for two weekends, and all the yuppies hiking around, and all the cattle being pushed back and forth thru the swamp along the highway, I didn't really have a chance in hell. I saw 3 small bulls and 1 cow in all that time on the unit hunting. Thru all my scouting, probably another 15 or 16 days, I never saw one moose on the unit. In total of all the days I spent up there besides the 4 moose I saw, I never saw one elk, and saw 3 tiny bucks and about 25 does... pretty sad... But I give it all I had and don't feel bad about tag soup...I passed those 3 little bulls which I could have shot, but I wouldn't have been happy with any of them... a calf bull, a one year old and a two year old...
So that is my story....
MOOSELESS.....

Barbie has to share some of the blame. I heard she's taken to drinking and sleeping in. It's nice of you to cover for her though, Rick.

Couldn't get her out bed after her all nights, and she kept wanting to spend the days down at the Beaver Creek Nudist Ranch down the valley, and that took away from most of the days getting her out of there. She didnt like the smoke when they were burning so stayed tucked away in the trailer. The many deer and elk hunters scared her too. Guess she had some bad experiences on a deer hunt somewhere?
But I will take the biggest blame for passing up the small bulls I did see. I wouldn't have been happy with any of them so I am good with the hunt. All I know is Kamas is a #####!

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-19 AT 08:07PM (MST)[p]Sorry to hear you had such a tough go Arick. I was confident that we'd see a "Barb and Bullwinkle" picture, so I'm pretty shocked. Unfortunately the moose situation throughout the West is pretty dismal at this point. I'm sure if you would have known that from the beginning, you would have chosen a different route.

But I congratulate you and yours for giving it your best shot.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-19 AT 05:34PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-19 AT 05:32?PM (MST)

That is a rough unit to hunt and definitely agree on the moose situation being tough. Here is one biggest bull we seen. Caught it coming off the hill on the other side of the valley and then met it as it got to the highway. My son was up on the upper road glassing and when we called him and told him where it was, he guided us right to where it crossed. He had his Phonescope hooked up and got this picture. Kind of a neat picture.

419956334.jpeg

I wouldn't have been happy with him but could have killed him pretty easily....but one and done now....over and out!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom