antlers

mntman

Long Time Member
Every summer people talk on here about antler growth. Some think they are growing up till the day they shed (not true), it takes time for them to harden post growing before they rub.

I have looked around a little for information but didn't find a lot on this specific subject to back up my opinion. One site had whitetails stop growing about a month prior to shedding velvet, and that falls right in line with my opinion. Since all antlers are based off same growth principal and process. the hardening process should be nearly identical across all members of the deer family.

You look at a bull in mid July, he is done, around mid august he is shedding velvet.

How much time do you think there is between the end of growing and shedding of velvet. I think it is nearly a month.

Ok, not every bull falls directly into category of done growing by 15 July, some will be earlier, some will be later not arguing that.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Its not the same for each individual animal. I watched a buck for several years, and although he was finished growing but the 10th of Aug each year, he never shed his velvet till after the 20th of Sept, later than all other bucks in the area.

This buck, know by most as the Cemetary buck, finished growing between the 15th and 20th of Aug, always shed on the 10th of Sept.

Whether some take longer than others to fully harden, is anybodys guess.

59560p1180696.jpg

44013p1200650.jpg

Yelum

YBU

7019yelumlogosig2.jpg

My OPINION is generally they finish three to four weeks prior to shedding, but as yelum says each animal is different. I just wonder what other factors could be at play i.e. climate, precipitation, stress, feed, competition...? I've seen mature muleys in AZ still in velvet the second week of October (not butter bucks either)and high country deer in CO shedding late August.

From my own experiences and observations, elk antler growth continues for years. My first bull elk (4x4 raghorn) had grown to a spindly 5 x5 by the time I got to talk about the hunt at the local pub. By christmas time it was a decent 6x6 when talking to my out of state family. 10 years later around hunting camp the bull is pushing 300 (unless my old hunting partner is around). I still have the raghorn antlers hanging in my garage, it's all of 300 if I just do a quick glance, and it appears to be growing.

Sorry to make fun of a serious and educational post.

I've noticed bucks in Western WY keep their velvet longer after a hard winter, and are hard horned quicker on an early/warm spring. Bucks in NE Nevada, seemed to shed much earlier (late August). I'm guessing that it has something to do with when they start growing.

I am in agreement with you, I definitely think every animal is different, I killed a deer last week of august last year and all the velvet was still on and didn't look like he was shedding, not sure if bucks and bulls are the same, but I also seen some smaller satellite bulls last year during the hunt and they had velvet, but it wasn't as thick, but it was hard to tell at 50 yards away. very interesting, I also agree they must have time to harden, very curious to see some data on this. great topic to discuss

I agree every animals is different. Some shed all around same time. Some week or 2 before or week or 2 later.

Some never shed velvet. Seen a bull in july that never lost his antlers.

Its a good thought. Im sure they have a general timeline to harden

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom