Any Bears? How about San Juan Bears?

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
How are the bear hunts going? Has anyone been on the San Juan and seen anything? About 4 weeks till I head out on my hunt, just wondering how it's been.

I'll be headed down this week with my dad to hunt for his. I know the bears are out, the guy who will be running for us has caught a few already

LAST EDITED ON May-13-18 AT 05:12PM (MST)[p]Pretty slow. We hunted west and east of Monticello for 3 days and never saw a bear or track. Had the dogs kinda hit off the road yesterday morning, but only raced for about 3-4 hundred yards before they lost it. Wind was horrible. Other houndsmen we were in contact with has the the same results in the area we were in, down by blanding and elk ridge. Visited with the biologist several times and only thing he can come up with is there was a higher winter mortality than expected and the others haven't really started to get out and move yet. he said there's been a few bears killed on the unit so far, but not many. There was a big boar killed Wednesday in Indian creek by an outfitter, but they earned it from what I understand. He was saying that hhe expects it to really pick up within a week with the warm temps and grass that's starting to grow

Dang, that is discouraging! Well good luck if you head back down. Man, I sure hooe it picks up. He was thinking a lot of bears died during the winter huh?

Been out every weekend on the wasatch tag. Mainly up Strawberry way. Saw a track a a few weeks ago. Ran dogs on Friday with no luck. Hoping it will pick up soon. Kinda depressing this year for the yogi's. Hopefully the winter didn't reduce the numbers. Good luck down your way.

I have always thought the spring was the time the Bears will starve to death, not necessarily the winter. If they make it through summer and the fall they're usually in Okay shape. However, if they wake up and they're not in the best shape and there's little food in the spring, that is when they can starve to death.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom