Any biologists, ecologists, etc.??

B

BlackRock

Who among you would label themselves biologists, ecologists, etc. based on title, schooling, training or otherwise. Has anybody worked or is anyone working in these fields?

Just curious.

I worked as a biologist in the past and have some schoolin', but ain't used it much.

BlackRock

I have a BS in Biology. I worked 1 summer for the BLM, but besides that have not used it much. I wish I knew what a difficult field it was to break into before I put so much time and effort into college.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-04 AT 09:37AM (MST)[p]2 degrees - in Natural Resources

Wildlife Management
Fisheries Management

1 Tech. Diploma in Fish, Wildlife and Recreation.

Currently working on a Mountain Goat Project.
Have worked in one form or another pretty much with all big game species in British Columbia.

Extremely tough field to break into however.

I am full of...I mean I have a BS in Wildlife & Fisheries Science. I apply as much education and experience as possible when trying to help manage the ranches we lease.

Josh

I have a bachelors in earth science and an M.S. in Environmental Science. I work as an environmental scientist for an engineering firm in Texas. We specialize in environmental permitting and impact assessment for water resource related projects such as reservoirs, pipelines, treatment plants, etc. I also do a lot of work for the Army evaluating environmental impacts from military training activities and other actions. We spend a lot of time working wetlands, endangered species, etc.

B.S. Entomology B.S. Plant Pathology I've worked for Dupont running herbicide field trials and am currently (last 16 years) working for Colorado State University at a Agrucultural Research farm in western Colorado.

What's an Entomologist? A Biologist with a biology job.

BeanMan

I have a BS in microbiology and am working in the health food industry until this fall when I start medical school.

I'll have my BS in Environmental Field Biology in May. Its been a fun, interesting, challenging five years to get to this point. I worked as wildlife tech for a local timber company last summer and loved every second of it. Found a bunch of sheds while I was working too. So far I have no prospects for after graduation though and I'm getting pretty bummed out about it. I'm going to apply for a full time IDFG job in the next couple days, but I don't know how competitive I'll be for it. I plan on sitting out this coming year and then going for my masters after that, hopefully at the university of montana. I'd like to get my masters in something botanical or conservation/ecology related.

Yeh, BS in W/L Mgmt& 2years post grad work. Spent 33 years as a W/L biologist for a state agency (not WY), but had a chance to retire a few years early and got out. Was able to spend most of my years in the field, but can't believe the poltical/bureacrtic BS that goes on.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I have a B.S. In Microbiology with a specialty in Medical Technology. I am a clinical laboratory scientist for a large physician owned medical facility in central Wa. I manage their second largest laboratory and work in my chosen field every day.
Blood and Body fluids are my bread and butter!

Any recommendations on what to do with an Ecology degree. I have a family and make descent money in the service industry. I am willing to go back to school, I just need a carrot at the end of the stick. I have been told to either get a masters or consider a new major. Reccomendations?

Wow, good responce. My degree was in Ecology. I worked for a variety of departments and wildlife organizations and loved it. I saw a lot of the western ecosystems. But for the love of money, I left for the private sector. I certainly miss certain parts of it. I still have the knowleadge I gained, I guess.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-04 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]Have a BS in Wildlife Management. Used it one year is all. When it was time to go to college I decided to get a degree in something I really enjoyed. Never regretted it. Even if I didn't stay in the field. All the guys in fisheries said if ya like to hunt fisheries is the way to go. Your job is slowing down when hunting season rolls around. In wildlife your job gets more intense come hunting season. The year I worked, opening of elk season I was at a check station, opening of deer season I was running a check station. Really put a kink in the hunting. Really liked my job but the pay sucked also. Crunch time came with kids etc. and I moved on. Haven't used much of my knowledge since. Except to help me be a better hunter.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-04 AT 07:14AM (MST)[p]fletch, I see from your profile that you are from Moses Lake. I just spent the day there at the WVC.

Check your private message inbox.

Where were all of you Fish and Wildlife Bio's when my dept was looking for a Wildlife Program Manager ? I should have posted the job announcement in here huh ?

I have a BGS (yeh, GI Bill degree) biology, zoology, botany. Never really worked in the field but have gotten jobs/promotions because I have a degree.

BS in wildlife and fisheries. Currently a wildlife bio. for BLM. I enjoy my job, but I had more fun as a bio tech with the Park Service and USFWS.

I concur, it can be a tough field to find a job. Prairie dogs got me in the door. haha...

I have a B.S. in Wildlife Sciences but do not work in the field. I just never got enough experience to be hired in a fulltime job.

It's probably a good thing cuz I would never be able to be off enough to get my huntin fix each fall. I do feel the education has helped make me a better hunter & more informed on wildlife management issues.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom