Any Bugles yet?

I was out all weekend and only turned up 2 spikes. Never saw any other elk. I did see deer in places I never see them this time of year and found 3 different bears.

Never heard a bugle. I might have missed them but Sunday was perfect all day. Cloudy, cool light rain etc. I sure hope things change before next weekend.

Of course I did see people driving all over trying to scout! The 2 spikes I saw were being pushed by a truck driving down a ridge. The only ran about 3 miles before I lost track of the elk.

I was out yesterday, saw lots of elk activity, heard one bugle. The bulls just shed velvet and all of them were thrashing the mountain mahogany polishing up their antlers.

I glassed a bull up from a mile away that was bedded right next to a blind I built two weeks ago. I think it might be in the right spot!

I think its gonna be a good year to be an archery elk hunter. The moisture we have been getting has been unreal. Way better than last year.

See you guys in the woods (hopefully not) good luck!

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

>Were the deer higher or lower
>than usual? I do not
>have a deer tag just
>curious.

Deer were lower. In my area I have seen like 2 bucks in the last 10 years during archery season. This year I found 12 in 3 different groups. No monsters, but still that is a massive increase over normal.

I hit all my never fail spots for elk and did not see a single one or a track. Granted the recent rain was erasing tracks pretty fast. I did look low for elk and did not find any recent sign there either.

Good news is I have a whole month to find just one bull. Who knows where they are. I have had a new road cut in my area and 2 new drilling rigs up. I was hoping that would concentrate the elk a little more.

Well boys talking or not I'm headed out first thing in the morning for 11 days. Wish me luck so I can post some pics.

Good luck sageman!!!(so long as we aren't hunting the same ridge) All was quiet where I was scouting this last weekend............well the cows were talking but that's it. Sure is lush up top this year!

Well I returned from my hunt yesterday. The elk were bugling very well but were not willing to commit. They would bugle like crazy early and late but would stay in one spot and not come in,maybe next year? We did see some great bulls and three bears......Jim

Just returned from S. Central CO hunting 5 days and bugling dropped off everyday. Mostly bugling after dark with some responding the first couple evenings but nothing coming in. Then the last couple days they wouldn't even respond. We were thinking they are mostly hanging out up really high as we were around 9600 ft and it was probably 75-80 degrees most of the time. Saw 2 bulls with 4 or 5 cows each but we felt the rut hasn't started much yet.

What's happening in other parts of the State?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom