Any Gila archery reports?

countryboy300

Was wondering how the 15, 16A & 23 archery hunts have been going so far. I have a muzzleloader hunt in unit 23 for elk coming up soon. I have been down scouting 3 times already and out putting up some trail cams. Didn't want to get into the woods and bother people while they are hunting. Just curious. thanks

The only report I've heard so far is from unit 16-B. A friend of mine just got back and said it was a very tough hunt this year. He said there was a lot of water and that the unit was quiet other than "hunters" bugling from predawn to midnight every day.
In comparison to last year they saw fewer herds and smaller bulls. They went 0 for 3 this year. Last year they killed 2 out of 4 with one bull going 355 and the other right at 368. To say that they "know" the unit well is an understatement. He said he would be pretty optimistic about hunters chances during the last archery hunt and the first rifle hunt. When posed the question as to where the elk may have gone to he said probably around the 22/23 side.
He also drew unit 16 for deer and passed up a few small bucks. The other "cool" thing he saw was 3 mounted Game and Fish officers 6 miles into the wilderness checking for tags and stamps.
Good luck to all!

They packed into black mountain and also had a spike camp at yellow mountain. They ultimately moved north and ended around the Jerky range.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom