Any help in skinning a rattle snake

nebo

I would like to skin out a rattler and any help would appreciated. From how to what I would do with it till I get it sent. Will a tanner do this work?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-10 AT 04:40PM (MST)[p]I did 2 of them about 12 years ago. Just start at the butt and go both ways. Don't forget to grill it when done. Good eatin. When done, tack it to a board, scale side down. I had to brush a liquid on it but can't remeber what it was. 3 times a day for about 10 days. They are still in great shape.

Yelum

It was jar a containing half glycerin and half alcohol. Google snake skin tanning and you'll get help.

Back in '74 when I went to a new job up north of here at the World's Largest Geothermal Power Plants I saw a BIG rattler crossing the back road. So I got out of the pu and was able to finally get him before he went over the edge of road. Flattened his head, so cut it off and buried it.
Took it back to the unit we were working and skinned it out up the belly from tip of rattlers to the end next where the head use to be.
Found a 3/16" piece on board, cut it down to the length of snake plus a few inches and used some small carpet tacks and nailed it with the skin up. After a week or so I sprayed some clear varnish on it and left it like that till it finally started to tear apart after about 15 years, so in the garbage can it went. Often wondered if some garbage handler ever encountered it later...lol
The hide with the rattlers (9) were 40" total so add maybe about 3" to the head for the overall lenghth....biggest one I ever killed. That area up there was crawling with them back then.

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

I really appreciate the advise you have shared. I really want to do one so thanks again for the help. I will goggle it and find what I need.

You should also try to get in touch with a guy on here by the name of "OLBUZZTAIL" He might know some tips or tricks, he knows a thing or two about snakes!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom