Any ideas on Unit 2 Mule Deer

M

madmike8659

I screwed up last year and failed to check the PP box on mule deer if unsucessful. I have 12 PP for mule deer and would like to try and hunt unit 2 2nd season. But after all I have heard lately about Area 22 I wanted to speak with someone who has hunted in that area. Can anyone give me any info? Not looking for specifics just is it worth all the hype I have heard. Or should I look somewhere else?

Unit 2 can be a good hunt, with the potential of taking a nice buck. Deer numbers arent that great though. Spend alot of time out there doing elk hunts and have never seen big numbers. Majority of the deer are in the Douglas Mountain never seen much for deer in the northern half of the unit going towards the Wyo border.
Coloradoboy

Lower deer numbers, deer are not everywhere there so you really need to hunt, not a lot of hunting pressure, and the potiental for a very respectable deer is high. It would be worthy hunt IMO.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-12 AT 03:47PM (MST)[p]Hunted the 3rd season last fall. Good unit, pm me if you want more info.

Just ran across this thread.
Probably too late but have had great luck in Unit 2 over the years.

Hunted with my buddy last year 2nd season and he took a real nice 175 buck on the last morning after passing on a few bigger. I took a decent 170 5 years ago up by Lookout Mt,again on the last day. (Couldn't sneak close enough to the bigger ones we spotted.)

The north and south parts of the area are like night and day. Big deer in both areas, but totally different techniques.

Any other info, pm me

I finally put in for unit 10 and drew a second season tag. I can stay in Rangely and hunt out of a hotel. I spoke with the GW and told him what I was looking for in a deer and hunt and went with the 10 tag. I couldn't take getting rejected again and I had too many or too few points according to alot of folks. I also have a 5 y/o boy so I can start building points for me and him to hunt in 7 years.

madmike,

I know the area very well and have done a fair share of deer hunts up there. Second season can be a tough hunt but a guy can kill a good buck up there. Pm if you need any help.

Coloradoboy

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom